What an honor to begin blogging about the Michigan Israel Business Bridge (MIBB) and companies we work with to create stronger economic ties between Michigan and Israel. I am privileged to wear many hats including matchmaker, ambassador, and representative for the Michigan Israel Business Bridge. And, you should know one thing about me: I am unabashedly pro-Michigan. Born and raised in Detroit and its suburbs, I have seen the ups and downs. And right now we are certainly on the upswing. From the revitalization of Detroit, to the fabulous growth of downtown Grand Rapids, we are here to welcome new companies, new expansion, and new partnerships. We are throwing our doors wide open and inviting you to come to Michigan and see why you can find great opportunities here.
MIBB was established in 2008 to facilitate business, investment, and research opportunities between Michigan and Israel. As a bi-national chamber of commerce, MIBB works every day to make connections between people and businesses. We encourage Israeli businesses with new technologies to establish their North American business centers in Michigan. In the coming days, weeks, and months, I look forward to sharing many reasons to make Michigan the destination for Israeli companies.
Michigan has top universities, world class advanced manufacturing facilities, a highly productive work force, access to the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, and an international border with Canada.
Michigan is the hub of the U.S. and global auto industry, and we are forging ahead with the same competitive drive in other technological sectors including life sciences, defense, homeland security, information technology, design, and food safety. Moreover, Michigan offers Israel advantages such as collaboration with world-class research institutions including University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Grand Valley State University, and Lawrence Technological University, many of which are already doing research with Israeli institutions. And, we have an abundance of fresh water, advanced and precision manufacturing facilities, as well as access to world markets via the St. Lawrence Seaway and a major international airport.
AND TO SHARE SOME FUN FACTS:
- The first paved road in American was here in Michigan-Woodward Ave (thanks to Henry Ford)
- The University of Michigan was the first university established by any of the United States.
- The Kellogg Company made Battle Creek the Cereal Capital of the World.
- Windsor, Ontario is south of Detroit, Michigan, and is separated by the Detroit River. Windsor marks the only border crossing where Canada is south of the United States.
- Michigan is in the Eastern Time Zone, at the insistence of the auto industry which wanted to be in the same time zone as the stock exchange! Michigan has the longest freshwater shoreline in the world.
When coming to Michigan – give us a call. We would be happy to welcome you and help you with your business here in Michigan.