Dear Mr. Trump:
I originally wrote most of this last week, before the release of the now infamous video of you and your pal, Billy Bush. Even if I bought your childish “locker room talk” excuse (not sure where you work out), it wouldn’t come close to changing my mind.
I’ll cut right to the chase. I am not voting for you.
You are mean. Your venomous attacks go beyond the usual nastiness of an election campaign.
- Nicknames. Low Energy Jeb. Lyin’ Ted. Crooked Hillary. Little Marco. Crazy Bernie. Goofy Elizabeth. Pocahontas.
- Nasty comments about people’s looks. Alicia Machado. Carly Fiorina. Heidi Cruz. Tim Kaine. Chris Christie. Hillary Clinton.
- Mocking a man with a disability.
- Mocking Hillary Clinton’s pneumonia (and her debate prep!).
- Insults. Mexicans. Khazir and Ghazala Khan. Judge Gonzolo Curial. Serge Kovalevsky. John McCain. Bill Clinton. The Pope.
- Ignoring racism while pretending to be oblivious to the actions of many of your supporters. White Supremacy. David Duke. Anti-Semitic imagery. Condescension to African-Americans, Mexicans, Muslims, and others.
- Business dealings. Not paying taxes. Losing over $9,000,000 in business dealings. Refusing to pay bills. Stiffing workers and contractors.
- Inflammatory statements. Inviting Russia to hack email. Veiled references to assassination. Telling supporters to punch protesters and offering to pay their legal fees and suggesting they be taken out on stretchers. Talking about your popularity by suggesting you could literally get away with murder.
- Disregard for the constitution. Expulsion. Judge Curiel. Attacks on Tim Kaine and Hillary Clinton for their service as public defenders. Threatening to throw your opponent in jail.
- Contradictions. Neutrality in the Middle East. Abortion. Healthcare. Taxes. Trade. Iraq.
- Lack of self-control. Middle of the night tweets.
- Inability to apologize or admit mistakes until now, which you only did under duress. An apology that goes on to say “but so and so did worse” is that of a very young child.
- Responding to criticism by belittling the critic rather than addressing the issue.
- Building yourself up by pulling others down.
- Blatant commercialism and self-promotion. “Only I can fix it.” Claiming to know more about ISIS than generals. Hawking your products and properties under the guise of campaign press conferences.
- Glorification of dictators like Vladimir Putin and Sadaam Hussein.
- Your running mate. In the terrifying thought of your ascendancy, it is most likely that he will be running the executive branch of government. He has promoted virulent anti-LGBTQ legislation in Indiana and the country. He is anti-choice. He attempted to bar refugees from settling in Indiana. He proposed a state-run news service. He voted against embryonic stem cell research.
- Then, of course, your misogyny. Megan Kelly. Alicia Machado. Rosie O’Donnell. Nancy O’Dell. Pregnancy as an inconvenience to employers. Anger at a woman’s pumping breast milk. Disparaging remarks about the way women look. Their chests, their backsides, their faces, their weight. Your bravado about sexual conquests. Your many, many remarks on the Howard Stern Show – even about your own daughter (Stern, by the way, is supporting your main opponent).
- Oh, and your policies, such as they are. Refugees. Immigration. Gun Control. A woman’s right to choose. Climate change.
I could fill many more pages. I’m sure you won’t read this, but in the unlikely event you do, your response may be to belittle me, as well. I may even be so lucky as to garner a tweet.
It will be an honor.