The National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC) was sued last week by billionaire mogul Sheldon Adelson for slander after it claimed that Adelson “approved of and profited from prostitution.” Despite having no proof it continues to maintain its right to slander Adelson.
So, a la David Letterman:
The top 10 reasons the NJDC should keep attacking Sheldon Adelson
10. Attacking Adelson is easier than condemning Obama representative Belgium Ambassador Howard Gutman, who claimed there is “growing anti-Semitism” due to the failure to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The remarks were prepared, indefensible, and not a policy difference between Democrats and Republicans. As anti-Semitism isn’t caused by Israel, and has existed since well before the State of Israel, rather than this Jewish Democrat organization condemning such an offensive absurd statement it condemns Adelson.
9. There are many billionaires who have tens of thousands of employees and run billion dollar publicly traded companies with worldwide operations who “tolerate and benefit from prostitution.” NJDC assumes Adelson knows everything going on personally and encourages lawbreaking in a highly regulated industry. Adelson donates millions to organizations that help rehabilitate Israeli prostitutes, where they “support these women, provide them with drug abuse treatment, and end their involvement in prostitution” – NJDC must assume that’s also false.
8. Abe who? During the previous presidential election, Anti-Defamation League National Director Abraham Foxman told the NJDC to stop discriminating. A video it produced and released, “Bubbie Versus the GOP,” as Foxman said “crosses the line of sensitivity” and “pits Jews against Christians” by presenting the GOP as a “star chamber court in religious garb.” He said he was “saddened and disappointed” that the NJDC had used “stereotypic forms” and “conspiracy theories” to appeal to the Jewish community. “We, who have suffered from conspiracy theories, should be against it.” Last election it alienated Christians – this time its slander is against the Jewish people.
7. Media will report on the lawsuit as undoubtedly lawyers, advisers and PR firms advised both NJDC and Adelson. By attacking Adelson, media will no longer be able to brand him as a “pimp” who benefits from prostitution if people know he will respond.
6. In an era of unprecedented Jewish problems, isn’t it great a Jewish organization attacks the most generous Jewish donor in the world, a man whose foundation donates $200 million to Jewish causes – and even better for it to attack him with unsubstantiated claims having no Jewish substance. NJDC thinks Adelson should have given more than $100 million to Birthright Israel, and hey – why only $25 million as the largest single donor to Yad Vashem?
5. What does Alan Dershowitz know about law anyway? Alan Dershowitz, the highest-profile Jewish Democrat lawyer, in America reviewed the documents, says the NJDC acted inappropriately since “no evidence has been submitted to support it and no finding has been made by any court. It’s outrageous for the National Jewish Democratic Council to level unfounded allegations against Adelson. They do not speak for me, and for the many other Jews who admire Adelson’s contributions to the world, to America, to Israel and to the Jewish community. The attack comes with particular ill grace from a Jewish organization, considering all that Adelson has done for Jewish causes, and considering the fact that there is nothing uniquely ‘Jewish’ about the questionable allegations against him.”.. “They are willfully spreading ‘lashon hora’ that they know to be false…” Alan Dershowitz’s legal opinion after reviewing documents – that’s not important.
4. Shame on others – but not on them. Previously, the executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Council, Ira Forman, called upon organizations and individuals to “take the responsibility for outing and yes, even shaming, the purveyors of sinat chinam [baseless hatred] in our community.”
3. The opinion of Jewish organizations and people en masse is unimportant. The Jewish Federation of North America says “to condemn a man based on unsubstantiated charges violates our American and Jewish values. It also breaches the Jewish Council for Public Affairs’ Civility Statement, which was signed by both the NJDC and JFNA. That document commits us to ‘respectful dialogue’ and ‘to treat others with decency and honor and to set ourselves as models for civil discourse, even when we disagree with each other.”
2. Who cares that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) says it was wrong and has already apologized for the same allegation, saying it made “…unsubstantiated allegations that attacked Sheldon Adelson…” It added “This was wrong. The statements were untrue and unfair, and we retract them.” Jewish Democrats must know better than the DCCC.
1. The biggest reason the NJDC should keep attacking Sheldon Adelson is so when he wins this lawsuit and $60 million, more worthwhile causes and Jewish organizations will benefit from his generosity. In the future, the NJDC will think before it attacks generous good Jews without any proof whatsoever.
The Jewish community should only say, Thank you, Sheldon Adelson, for caring so much about Israel and the Jewish people.