Hello Mr. Sarkozy. Welcome to Israel.
In truth, the announcement of your visit to Israel creates some confusion among us, French citizen of this country.
Indeed, we don’t understand the meaning of this visit;
– Is it one of a friend of Israel and of the Jewish people?
– Or is it one of a politic man in search of a new legitimacy?
Whatever the choice of the question and the answer that corresponds, let’s summarize your Presidency, shall we?
In 2007, seduced by your promises and feelings apparently favorable both towards our community and Israel, the French Jews, and more importantly those living in Israel, have very largely voted in your favor (62% in France, 90% in Israel).
However, what prints had left your Presidency?
– In opposition to your commitment to reduce public expenditure, during your mandate, it has jumped from 51% to 56% of PIB, dramatically widening the deficits.
– The law on the 35 hours, that was supposed to be entirely amended, remained as is, exacerbating the unemployment.
– The taxes and fees weighing on the companies have strongly increased, affecting their competitiveness in the international scene.
– Property Tax had burdened in proportions who made the profitability dive and froze the real estate market.
– Under your command, a Franco-Qatari tax treaty has been elaborated, who opened the doors to the funds of Qatar who is appropriating the most beautiful jewels of France’s heritage, along with, at the same time, outstanding tax benefits.
– In Israel, we, the French Jews, had to bear the consequences of your policy, that we couldn’t imagine even for a moment.
– Two years after your access to power, you declared, in Israel, that Jerusalem, although the eternal and indivisible capital of the Jewish people, will be parted.
– Shortly after, during a meeting with President Obama, you showed an astonishing disrespect to a chief of state, by calling Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, a liar.
– At our huge astonishment and dismay, you voted in favor of the PLO membership in UNESCO. At the same time, you mocked the notion of Israel as the state of the Jewish people.
– Your administration took no action against the Consulate of France in Jerusalem, headed by the official Desagneaux, who became the center of an anti-Israel and anti-Semitic propaganda.
Israel, who yet counts near one million of French speakers, had seen his accession to the Francophonie denied, while you were acting in favor of Qatar, in which less than 20 persons speak French, as a permanent member.
These are the facts.
Known and indisputable.
Let’s not invoke the international economic crisis to excuse those serious failures.
Let’s not put forward your action against Iran, when everything points to thinking that it is, in fact, an ineffective gesticulation – since Iran is pursuing her macabre purposes – in order to serve primarily Qatar’s interests.
In Israel, the scares left by those wounds won’t be healed by no speeches of circumstance that you’ll pronounce, or any promises that you’ll make again, to assure that one more time, the French of Israel will vote for your party at the next elections.
To the disregard you showed towards the French speakers of Israel, do not add contempt.
The Jewish people, faithful to it’s traditions, will always welcome you with hospitality, it won’t ask you to make any promises, because it knows by now that they won’t be honored.
Travel, discover the country; it is beautiful and in constant development, and most of all, learn that the real friends of Israel favor moral values over financial interests.
Then, whether you’re looking for a new legitimacy or you wish to express your friendship, do not make any promises. Feel the pulse of this society who’s fighting since 3000 years to defend the his legitimacy, and if you manage to capture the whole depth of its soul and the righteousness of its rights, then will rise in you the need to claim solemnly, loud and clear, that Israel is the land of the Jewish people and Jerusalem it’s one and indivisible capital.