I grew up in South Africa and there it was quite easy to impress your guests. You basically serve them the best and largest amount of meat that you can afford.
Things are a little bit different here in Israel.
The meat eaters here also like a decent slab of meat on their plates, especially with fresh red meat so expensive in Israel. But that is only half of the story. If you want to really impress your Israeli guests, you will also have to serve them a large and varied range of salads. Salads are so popular here that people often choose to ONLY eat the salads in a restaurant!!
Roasted pepper salad is a firm favourite and one of the salads that everyone is quick to finish. It is not just totally delicious but also looks very colourfull and decorative on any table
Roasted pepper salad
3 large sweet bell peppers. I only used red peppers here, but orange, yellow and green peppers are also great to use.
2 green chilli peppers. Any type of chilli is fine, just make sure that they are not too hot (or too mild) for your guests.
2 clove of garlic, peeled and finely sliced.
2 table spoons of olive oil
2 table spoons of vinegar
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 degrees Fahrenheit) and select the grill option.
2. Wash the sweet and chilli peppers and place on an aluminium covered oven tray. Note that you should not use a paper baking sheet because of the high heat.
3. Place the oven tray at the top of the oven but make sure that the peppers do not touch the grill elements.
4. Roast the peppers for about 30 minutes, making sure that you turn them around every 10 minutes so that they become charred all over. Please take care though, the oven is REALLLY hot!
5. Switch off the oven and place your charred peppers in a plastic bag and set aside to cool off.
6. When the peppers have cooled off, carefully cut them open and remove the stems and seeds.
7. Gently rub off the peppers’ charred outer skin and cut into strips.
8. Place the pepper strips in a dish and add the salt, garlic, olive oil and vinegar.
9. Serve with basically anything but crusty bread is a great choice.