- IAF strikes dozens of terror targets in Gaza overnight – Ynet, 30 July 2014, 09:15
- Netanyahu warns Israel to prepare for long Gaza conflict, as at least 10 more are killed – The Washington Post, 16 minutes ago
- LIVE UPDATES: No cease-fire without lifting of blockade on Gaza, says Hamas – Haaretz, 19 minutes ago
- Southern discomfort: Living and working under fire in Israel’s south – Haaretz, 33 minutes ago
- Deadly Israeli shelling hits UN school as Hamas mulls truce – Maan News Agency, 38 minutes ago
It seems that the Gods of War have yet to be sufficiently appeased before reports like these can become relegated to yesterday’s news.
Of course, such appeasement demands sacrifices but haven’t there been more than enough of these already? The tens of thousands that are dead, the maimed and injured, the homeless and the destitute?
Or is it that these offerings are simply not the ones required of us and, down all the years, we have been mistaken in thinking that they were?
But what else can be given up? What more is needed to placate deities who seem determined to extract the very last ounce of decency and peace of mind from an existence none would envy, few could tolerate?
Perhaps the Gods want nothing from us at all except that we figure out what it is that will please them the most and, in doing so, become so much more like gods ourselves.
www.laxiankey.com – ‘ for those of us with better things to do.’
Does anyone here fancy the prospect of becoming a god? I hear the hours are lousy but, if I understand it right, job security is the best ever.