After years of experience, I’ve found that the same thoughts enter my head every year. Do they seem familiar to you as well?
- I should have not drunk so much right before Kol Nidrei. How many times can I go to the bathroom before people start to notice?
- I’m so lucky I remembered to bring my tallit to maariv.
- Wait! What’s the original song to the tune the chazan is singing to? I can’t think of it when he keeps singing the piyut!
- Do that guy’s sneakers really not have any leather on them?
- Oh, that’s cute. My son is counting pages just like I used to do.
- Fasting actually gets easier every year.
- Bowing on the floor gets much harder every year.
- Does anyone actually say – let alone understand – the whole Avodah?
- Can Neila HAVE any more 13 midot?
- What would make a good post-Yom Kippur Facebook status?
Oh, and probably in there somewhere are thoughts about repentance, atonement and holiness…