Regardless of whether President Obama decides to strike at Syria or not, it is quite apparent that at the very least Israel needs to remember she is a sovereign nation who needs to protect her citizens. America as the great defender simply doesn’t exist – regardless of who is the President.
Whether or not a strike on Syria is right or wrong isn’t relevant. How can Israel believe that Iran’s nuclear ambitions will be halted by America? If Israel thinks that America will be her protector in spite of all – even after the 1873 war and today’s lessons and more – a savvy political thinker may disagree.
As CEO of 5WPR, I love quotes and wanted to share some – from today and years past – reminding Israel of the importance of true independence:
- “The international stammering and vacillation over Syria proves, yet again, that Israel can trust in none but itself. More than 1,000 civilians, many of them babies and children, were murdered by a dark regime using poison gas. And the world hesitates. This is a major lesson. At the moment of truth, we will depend only on ourselves.” Israeli Cabinet Member Naftali Bennett
- “THE STATE OF ISRAEL will be open for Jewish immigration and for the Ingathering of the Exiles; it will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations.” Israel’s Declaration of Independence
- “As one who fought in all of Israel’s wars, and learned from personal experience that without proper force, we do not have a chance of surviving in this region, which does not show mercy towards the weak.” Ariel Sharon
- “Our habit of constantly and zealously answering to any rabble has already done us a lot of harm and will do much more. … We do not have to apologize for anything. We are a people as all other peoples; we do not have any intentions to be better than the rest. As one of the first conditions for equality we demand the right to have our own villains, exactly as other people have them. … We do not have to account to anybody, we are not to sit for anybody’s examination and nobody is old enough to call on us to answer. We came before them and will leave after them. We are what we are, we are good for ourselves, we will not change, nor do we want to.” – Ze’ev Jabotinsky
- “Above all, this country is our own. Nobody has to get up in the morning and worry what his neighbors think of him. Being a Jew is no problem here.” Golda Meir
- “Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial.” Ariel Sharon
- “An autonomy means independence in governing our domestic affairs, without political sovereignty, overseeing our own constitutional independence, economics and the police, but without an army and foreign policy.” Hamodia
- “The purpose of the Jewish state is to secure the Jewish future. That is why Israel must always have the ability to defend itself, against any threat.” Benjamin Netanyahu
- “I defend Israel’s right to exist, to defend themselves, to not let themselves be exterminated a second time.” Oriana Fallaci
- “The people of Israel are entitled, as is any other nation, to live in peace and safety.” Jonathan Sacks