Wouldn’t you agree that one of the most important aspects of any relationship is communication? So then why, ironically, don’t matchmakers and singles communicate more openly about how to make it work better between them? Imagine if they had more discussions on how to be more on the same page? I mean, we do all supposedly want the same thing, no?
Here are some questions I’d like to ask a matchmaker:
- What’s it like being a matchmaker?
- What is something really frustrating you find yourself dealing with with your clients?
- Have you ever fired (or wanted to fire) a client? Why?
- Do you ever look back and say, “Ah, in the good ol’ days, we didn’t have to worry about…”? If so, what is that thing you yearn for?
- When have you looked at another matchmaker and thought, “Oy, this matchmaker gives all matchmakers a bad name”?
- How well do you think you need to know your client before setting them up?
- How could your clients communicate with you more clearly?
- In which ways do you find a lot of clients mistreat you?
- What is one piece of advice you’d give singles for when they deal with matchmakers?
There are also a bunch of questions I’d like to ask some singles:
- Draw us a picture – What is the experience of going to a matchmaker like?
- What is one of the most frustrating things you find yourself dealing with with your matchmaker?
- Have you ever stopped going to a specific matchmaker? What made you stop?
- What things do you see other singles do that make you think, “God, those singles must make matchmakers hate us!”?
- In which ways could a matchmaker communicate with you that would make the process more pleasant?
- How much do you think your matchmaker needs to know you before setting you up (successfully)?
- How much do you want the matchmaker to be involved in the dating process itself, sort of like a dating mentor?
- Do you think you should pay your matchmaker for his or her services?
- What is one thing you’d love matchmakers to keep in mind while they’re doing their job?
The panel with these questions
I definitely won’t get to all of these questions but I’ll definitely try at the panel I’m moderating this coming Tuesday, January 7, 2014, partnered with and taking place at the AACI in Jerusalem.
The panel, with the same name as this post, will have a matchmaker, a female single and a male single.