A quiet day

Today Israel agreed to a humanitarian cease fire, but it was a hard day for us.The reality of the current situation has changed out greetings to one another from “have a nice day” to “have a quiet day”

As the evening news announced that 10 soldiers had fallen, I rushed to the phone.

Five of the soldiers who lost their lives as a PRG rocket slammed into their vehicle, were squad commanders.

My youngest son is a squad commander.

The insurgents had managed to cross the border by tunnel and wreak destruction near the peaceful settlement called Nahal Oz.

On a quiet day the number of rockets in recent weeks, launched into our cities is less than a hundred. Down south a person has 15 second to run for shelter before the rocket lands. Ok, we do have the Iron Dome which has a success rate of over 90%, but would you let one of your children take a chance on the remaining 10% and not run for cover?

Over Tel Aviv one has 90 seconds and as sirens blare that seems like a long time as you wait for quiet, then the inevitable boom of a missile exploding towards the earth, with pieces of deadly shrapnel falling from the sky.

Not pleasant to be out in the open.

A wave of relief flooded me after the call to my good friend assured me his son who was involved in the incident, is okay.

I looked up across the room and words could not describe the relief I felt of having my young son beside me smiling and safe at home, on vacation, after being on base for 30 days.

About the Author
Ilan Hirschowitz was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and now lives in the Sharon area, where he works as a Software Support & Dba Manager for a large international software company.
Related Topics
Related Posts
Comments