Har Hevron regional council head Yochai Damari was quoted yesterday as saying that we need to implement “an iron fist against the terror that wants to banish us.” I could not agree more with that statement. If we, as a country, as a people want to see the end of this current murderous rampage, we need to make sure that the potential perpetrators do not see any benefit in killing a Jew. Not only should they see that there is no benefit, they should see the IMMEDIATE harm that will come from killing (or attempting) to kill a Jew.
As things stand now, if a terrorist commits an act and is caught rather than being “neutralized,” he or she gets the best that Israel has to offer. They get the best medical care, the best food, education, and the list goes on and on. In addition, courtesy of the PA, the family of the terrorist receives monthly stipends for the atrocity that was committed. It is kind of a signing bonus, but more like a bonus to the family for taking out a Jew.
The time has come to reverse that trend and to begin to treat terrorists and their families with an iron fist! Perhaps some of the actions that can be taken would include:
- Any terrorist who murders a citizen of Israel for nationalistic reasons earns an automatic life sentence behind bars. A legal document (an ironclad document) would be drawn up ensuring that the perpetrator will NEVER see the light of day again. If Israel would invoke the death penalty, it should override any life sentence and be carried out forthwith.
- A terrorist who is a guest of the Israeli penal system would not be entitled to ANYTHING in the area of education or entertainment. They can sit in their cells for 24 hours a day and look at a blank cement wall. No TV, no books, no magazines, no visitors. If they die of boredom, then so be it.
- The family of the terrorist, including all immediate relatives would be stripped of their Israeli citizenship and shipped off to Gaza. Under no circumstances would they ever again be allowed into Israel proper. All of their assets would be confiscated. They would be given a toothbrush and a small bar of soap as a gift, courtesy of the State of Israel as a kind parting “gesture.”
- On a broader scale, the government must shut down any school that maintains any text books that incite against Jews. Children in those schools would need to be transferred to other satellite schools which will be approved by the Israeli government as not promoting terror.
- Any cleric who preaches hate from a mosque; any cleric who calls for jihad, all must be arrested and jailed with no option for parole. Why in the world is it okay for an imam to stand up and call for the murder of Jews?
Yes, there will be those who cry foul at these suggestions: What about their “rights”? What about rule of law? What about ….
Well, once you raise your hand with a gun, a knife, a stone or any other weapon to murder a Jew solely because he is a Jew, you will learn that you have forfeited any and all rights and must suffer the consequences.
History has shown that the only language a bellicose Arab world understands is power. Those who choose to live in peace; those who seek to maintain good relationships with the Jewish people ought to be encouraged. Instead of pouring millions of shekel into the educational needs of prisoners, that money should be poured into schools to educate Arabs about what it means to co-exist side by side.
But, until we can usher in an era where people cease stabbing pregnant women; women in their home; families; men in the street, it is time to deal with those who seek our harm with the strongest message possible: If you seek our harm, the consequences will be swift and paralyzing both to you and to your family.