First of all, “Israeli-Arab” is code for the 2 million Muslims Israelis. There is no intention to include the word for the 4 million Israeli Jews from Arab-speaking countries.
Arab lawmakers in the Arab parties seem to spend most of their public time competing for who’ll look like the greatest anti-Zionist. But not all Israeli Muslims like that. Many want their representatives (Arab or not) join the government and improve the lives of everyone. Even a quarter of all Israeli Arabs see Bibi Netanyahu as the most suitable PM (recent poll). And he doesn’t exclude them from a ministerial post (election stunt).
Not all US Blacks live “in the inner cities.” Not all Muslims in Israel live isolated in Arab villages. Most of them work side-by-side with Jews, for starters. Stop the racist stereotypes. They are unbecoming and untrue.
Yes, there are many Israeli Jews who’d prefer to live in a country with only Jews with all non-Jews being tourists.
However, the situation is much like the religious Jew who told me that he’s a capitalist. He said: You can’t just refrain totally from being humane if you’re a religious Jew.
Same here: Many Jews could like to have the country for ourselves but getting there conflicts with many of our realizations about the good life:
* It would deny or fail to acknowledge and appreciate that much of the houses and other buildings in present Israel were (and are) built by Muslims.
* In Israel, many a life was saved and many a sick was guided back to health by Gentiles working in the health industry and many an old person was nursed lovingly and humbly by a non-Jewish caregiver.
* Most bus lines would stop operating without their Arab drivers.
* It ignores that Muslims living here for 2-8 generations (and not much more — that’s true) are human and have feelings and rights too. If you deny that, you, first of all, hurt your own human image.
* Hate it or love it but some of our brightest are Muslim Israelis.
* Let’s stop the spin that holds that Palestinian Muslims are the Jews’ (and everyone’s) underdog. Painting them all as pathetic is racist too.
Yes, non-radical Muslims in wars killed, maimed, and threatened a lot of Jews but we don’t believe in collective punishment. We’re allowed to be suspicious and expect respect but not to reject out of hand, “them” all.
Yes, Jews should live apart from Gentiles and not marry them but that’s not the same as disrespecting them or kicking them out of the country.
And let’s not forget the many Israeli Jews who’ll vote for the Arab block. Like this group of academics. This doesn’t include the ultra-left lying anti-Zionist hate mongering Jews who’re more against Jews than for Arabs.
BTW: The law gives us a few weeks to return an item we purchased if we are sorry buying it — no questions asked. But after voting, no amount of regret helps to let us vote differently. How come?