I know the drill. Sometimes, G^d is angry with us and doesn’t show us favors. He ‘is silent’ while we suffer.
I find it an interesting idea but I don’t buy it.
What do you mean, G^d doesn’t speak to me? Do you really speak to Him?
What do you mean, He’s angry with us? Anger is forbidden to us because it’s a form of idolatry. When we’re angry, we show that we forgot that everything is under His supervision. There’s coincidence nor misfortune.
Then how could we dare to accuse G^d of anger?
Well, when we’re angry, we show that we don’t believe in Him. As if there is a power besides Him, Heaven forbid. But when He ‘is angry,’ He shows the same. That He trust in us to shape up–a good thing.
He doesn’t punish. He challenges us.
The question is never, Why is He silent to me? The question is, Why are we silent and don’t we listen?
I feel that this misunderstanding of an angry, disappointed G^d comes from wrongly reading the Torah.
Many times G^d seemingly intervenes, curses, changes His Mind. This is then seen as Him being disappointed, let down, sold short by humans.
That can’t be true.
- G^d doesn’t need anything from anyone. He’s complete, perfect, and lacks nothing.
- He’s not an idol that needs to be appeased, pleased, and placated.
- He knows ahead of our time what will happen. You can’t surprise someOne Who knows the future perfectly.
I think that the Torah’s message is the opposite.
We need to realize how disappointing we are.
- We assumed we could abide by one directive (Don’t eat from that tree).
- We would never get so angry that we hit our brother such that he’d die.
- We could never be so immoral that no human society can be built with us.
- We would not all be so lost that G^d had to pick one person to head an exceptional family to teach all of us.
- We could never be so wicked that we needed a whole special People to teach all of us.
- We could never be so terrible that we would try to exterminate that special Nation for thousands of years.
- We could never be so horrible that the most advanced country in the world would applaud the industrial genocide of that People, actually murdering 6 million of them, including 1.5 million children.
- We could never be such monsters to say after that, it didn’t happen but it should be completed until not one Jew is left alive.
But we have.
This is what human beings have done.
More than having let G^d down, we have betrayed ourselves.
G^d knew all along what a mess we were and would make.
He’s only replying: You have overestimated yourselves all the time. Now you know again how low you’ve fallen, you can also understand that the ‘original’ goal needs an update.
G^d was never surprised and never changed His Mind. Mid-game, we moved the goalposts. So G^d had to adjust the rules. Don’t blame Him.
NB: Humans are a bit like the small boy who’s ‘helping daddy’ carrying the banana’s while he’s bringing in the shopping. For daddy, the help is insignificant. But it would be cruel to tell the boy that. So, don’t tell people who need to believe they’re ‘helping G^d’ that He doesn’t need the help. That they’re just building their own character. That would be insensitive.