Psychology, Medicine, Science, Politics, Oppression, Integrity, Philosophy, Jews
Next week is the yearly subdued Jerusalem Pride Parade and its size again promises to shatter all previous records. There are several reasons for this:
- More and more people are getting to know GLBTQs leaving the closet, and more and more Allies get to like them and see this yearly Parade as an excellent way to declare opposition against ongoing State and private bullying.
- Recently, a prominent Jerusalem Rabbi has fulminated against homosexuals as if they are the devil himself, and especially heterosexual Orthodox Jews want to demonstrate in ever increasing numbers that they want nothing to do with such ignorant and violent hatred.
En not only “the Right” is annoying the hell out of everyone with a heart for GLBTQ Liberation. (Just as Jews also have enemies at the Far Right and the Far Left.) An Economics Editor and Columnist from Anti-Zionist Haaretz’ in an extremely lengthy analysis just claimed that solidarity with the struggle for gay surrogacy is not really a public’s priority. An “opinion” rebuttal can only be seen by subscribers – Haaretz doesn’t seek to rehabilitate itself here.
- You cannot convince most Jews that a sizeable portion of our People (and Mankind) should stay without any intimacy and sexuality, either because they would not deserve what everyone needs, are like the untouchables (people who through no fault of their own should be cast out), or because they would be so superhuman that they won’t need a home, closeness and bonding.
- Even less so will Israelis accept that there would be Jews who would psychologically be the best parents in the world, but who still should not raise children because they would be spiritually inferior, as now is newly being enshrined into Israeli Law.
- For more and more Israelis, Jerusalem is gaining significance as Capital of the Jewish State, so Gays and Allies will come from all over the Country in ever greater numbers to impress upon it their disagreement with the oppression of GLBTQ by the State.
- The Biblical Verse condemning homosexuality (to heterosexual men) was written on a Jerusalem-stone wall close to the monument commemorating a teenage Pride marcher who was murdered during the Jerusalem Parade in 2015 even before her life really started. This vile murder is so despicable that one asks oneself what moral level such a painter must have. Even more Orthodox Jews will show with their feet that that is not Judaism.
However, I dislike that the municipality immediately removed the text. Rather, it should be preserved at the spot with a sign marking the date, destructiveness and significance of such bigotry. (And the perpetrator should be found and prosecuted – anyone knows what fringe group to look for. Same handwriting as “Death to the Arabs” graffiti.)
Meanwhile, kudos to my host, the Times of Israel, for immortalizing this.