Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out, the music will play, and you will finally be able to move forward the life that God intended for you with grace, strength, courage, and confidence. -Og Mandino
After the failures of Adam, Noah and successive generations we are finally introduced to the first Patriarch, the founder of our nation, Abraham.
He was an outstanding personality. He rose to a higher calling against all opinion, pressure and odds. In return for his loyalty, his courage, his goodness and his example, God blesses Abraham.
The Baal Haturim on Genesis 12:2 enumerates seven blessings with which Abraham was graced:
- Abraham will become a Nation
- Abraham will receive great wealth.
- Abraham will receive a new name (Abram was switched to Abraham)
- Abraham himself will be considered a blessing.
- Whoever will bless Abraham, God will ensure that they in turn are also blessed.
- Enemies will be cursed.
- All families of the world will be blessed by Abraham.
May we live up to the example of Abraham and also participate in his blessings.
To Gabriel Boruchovas for going over and above the call of duty in making sure the Uruguayan Shabbat Project was a major success.