Is a small group of shrewd devils about to take over the world, kill or enslave us all, and suck up all power and money?
Paranoids have enemies too. The mere fact we feel targeted while others consider us detached from reality doesn’t prove we’re not targeted.
All conspiracy theories grow from prior ones. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a 1903 antisemitic fable, also tried to scare us about a malicious minority taking over the world, killing us, and taking all our money. Unsurprisingly, the new scare dovetails nicely with accusing rich Jews.
Secondly, the best lies are variations on the truth, not complete falsehoods. Also here. Democracy is a 120-year-old compromise between the rich and powerful and Modernity, which agreed that the poor and women were allowed to go vote. Equality at the voting booth but not at who gets to report the news, spread ideas, and manipulate the masses.
Full democracy is STILL and ALREADY largely an illusion. The masses are kept powerless. Our privileges are limited, and the value of our lives is marginal. Even in healthcare, the elite gets better treatment, and idealistic physicians don’t realize that the masses are but guinea pigs for the rich.
Now, get this: the big promotors of the Great Reset theory are dictators, like Putin, and their pawns, trying to turn democracies into chaos so they can be run over. Real dangers can be scarier than the spookiest fiction.
So, this is what we need to tell those who believe in the fake Great Reset:
1. You’re right, and you’re wrong.
2. The great Reset already happened 120 years ago by installing incomplete democracy. That’s why there never was too much equality and why you always were mostly powerless and poor.
3. While, throughout the year, the super-rich try to steal each other’s money, during the yearly World Economic Forum, they try to conspire how jointly to strengthen their chokehold on democracy. But that’s not a reset. That’s what the elite always did and does.
4. The Great Reset theory is fake. But, the danger is not. This theory is spread with false accusations by the very rich and powerful who want to weaken even weak democracy, like Trump and Putin.
5. So, they play on you being good and naïve, present you with a threat of danger and point away from themselves to others. You’d think they are your friends. But they are the ones after you.
6. They claim that ‘them’ do things that should enrage everyone: rape and murder kids and drink their blood. The kernel of truth here is that a necktie or wealth doesn’t prove decency and honesty.
7. This conspiracy, like Putin, calls its opponents Nazis but attracts the support of White supremacists and Neo-Nazis. They know the truth.
8. You may be naïve, but you are not stupid. Think about it. Are the ones warning you and pointing fingers really your friends? Or are they just using the hype to topple democracy and eat you alive?
9. Democracy needs strengthening, not weakening. Please chip in.
In the end, light will always triumph over darkness. But our effort will make a difference in avoiding unnecessary pain, suffering, and deaths.