Passover is a time for families and friends to come together for the seder. The preparation for this experience is a herculean task. Passover food has evolved over the years. Gefilte fish is always a staple but now you have cereal’s trying to be authentic breakfast experience, multiple types of matzah, instant soup and even kosher for Passover buns.
One of my favorite dishes on Passover is Matzah Lasagna. You will need 30 minute prep time and 40 minute cook time to make the perfect Matzah Lasagna.
- 28 ounces tomato sauce (800 grams)
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Small bunch fresh basil
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese (300 grams), shredded
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Some people use a jar of their favorite pasta sauce, but it’s just not the same!
- To start, heat olive oil on medium heat in a large pan. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and zucchini. Cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper. Add tomato sauce (we like to use plain tomato sauce- just blended tomatoes- no funny stuff). Simmer for 5 minutes stirring often. Add the fresh basil during the simmer. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to your preference.
- Preheat oven to 350℉/175°C.
- Time to build the lasagna. First put a small layer of sauce on the bottom of your dish.
- Soak 3 matzah sheets for 30 seconds in warm water. Shake off excess water. Place one sheet of matzah on top of the sauce. If you’re using a wide dish, you might need more matzah to fill the shape.
- Then spread ⅓ of the ricotta on the matzah.
- Then ⅓ of the mozzarella.
- Then ⅓ of the Parmesan.
- Then sauce again and repeat layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 25 more minutes. If the top is still not browning around the edges put it under the broiler for a few minutes until golden.
We all need to sometimes spruce up our seders. Fun.com has awesome costumes of Moses and Pharaoh to help tell the story of Passover through a unique lens. Avengers Endgame is coming out over Passover. You can bring you passion for the Marvel universe to the seder table or synagogue with their fun suits.
Modern Tribe has great gifts and apparel to make your Passover special and unique. Your Matzah tie will give you some flavor this holiday. For some truly unique Passover experience there are some great companions such as the free Seder Sidekick.This will guarantee to have your family and friends in stitches.