Esor Ben-Sorek
Esor Ben-Sorek

The Not-So-Charming Prince

It has recently been revealed that the future king of England, Prince Charles, has openly blamed the conflict in the Middle East on “foreign European” Jews.

In a letter which the prince wrote to a close friend, Laurens van der Post in 1986 following a royal visit to Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which was published by the London newspaper “The Mail” on Sunday, November 12th,  His Royal Highness wrote: “I now begin to understand better the Arabs’ point of view about Israel. Never realized they see it as a US colony”.

Further in the letter, the prince continues in unchallenged blasphemy. “I now appreciate that Arabs and Jews were all a Semitic people originally and it is the influx of foreign, European Jews (especially from Poland, they say) which has helped to cause great problems. Surely some US president has to have the courage to stand up and take on the Jewish lobby in the US” ?

The letter concludes with his final statement “ I must be naïve, I suppose”.

The Not-So-Charming Prince was not being naïve when he penned those words in his letter. He was simply being anti-Semitic (anti-Jewish).

The House of Windsor has never been favorable to the State of Israel. Their sympathy is more with the Arabs. It is significant that in the last almost seventy years not one member of Britain’s royal family has ever paid a formal state visit to Israel, in spite of the fact that the mother of the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip’s mother, is buried in Jerusalem.

This year, observing 100 years of the 1917 historic Balfour Declaration, it was believed that Prince Charles would represent the Crown at special ceremonies. It was, however, a changed plan. The British Foreign Office informed the royal family that such a gesture would anger the Arabs.

Britain’s colonial policy had always been to “divide and conquer”.  In Ireland they set Catholics against Protestants. In India, Hindus against Muslims. In Palestine, Arabs against Jews. Wherever the British flag had flown there followed riots, controversies and assassinations.

If Prince Charles had good objective intentions, he would have studied the written records of Britain’s Mandate in Palestine from 1918 to 1948.  There he could have read of the Muslim Arab riots in Jerusalem, of the pogrom by Arabs who massacred Jews who had lived for centuries in Hebron. He would have noticed that the British police did not interfere and made no efforts to put an end to the atrocities. They just looked the other way.

If we were honest, as a national policy, we would publicly declare that the problems in the Middle East were the direct results of mis-management and one-party bias, mostly by the British mandate in Palestine and to a lesser extent, the French control of Syria.

The French, in order to keep the peace between warring Christians and Muslims, carved out a portion of Syria near Mt. Lebanon and gave it as a state to the Christian population primarily.

The British did exactly the same thing in Palestine in 1922. They carved out 77 percent of Biblical Palestine and created an Arab state of Trans-Jordan (later to become the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan), leaving the remaining 23% to be fought over by Jews and Arabs residing there.

Divide & Conquer !

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II and her husband, Prince Philip, have now officially begun their retirement. All formal matters of state and all ceremonial functions have now passed into the hands of Prince Charles.

We can expect no change in his attitude towards the State of Israel, shamefully.  Pity there is no strong Jewish lobby in the political centers of British Jewry !

And pity it is that Charles will accede to becoming England’s next monarch. For my part, the only throne he should sit upon should be his toilet seat.

Brittania ruled the waves. Thankfully, the sun set on the British Empire.


About the Author
Esor Ben-Sorek is a retired professor of Hebrew, Biblical literature & history of Israel. Conversant in 8 languages: Hebrew, Yiddish, English, French, German, Spanish, Polish & Dutch. Very proud of being an Israeli citizen. A follower of Trumpeldor & Jabotinsky & Begin.
Related Topics
Related Posts