Since food is especially on our minds during this week of Pesach, and matzah ranks #2 on my list, I thought this would be a good (and tasty) way to kick off my weekly list.
1. Challah– Synonymous with the Jewish Sabbath, and round ones with raisins for the New Year are extra-special.
2. Matzah– Eating this rather than regular bread dramatizes the Exodus experience.
3. Bagel– Now one of our culinary gifts to American and the world.
4. Latka– The true miracle of Hanukah when made well.
5. Humentashen– As much a part of Purim as the megillah.
6. Felafel– Israel’s culinary gift to the world.
7. Chicken Soup– Jewish home remedy and all-purpose starter.
8. Kugel– Durability and varieties make it an enduring staple.
9. Knish– Even sold in some stadiums, evokes Old Country legacy.
10. Gefilta fish– Nobody’s favorite, but remarkable generational staying power.