I’m writing this because he’s using salami tactics. Every time when you think it can’t get worse, it is. And we’re getting numb to the previous scandals as bigger ones emerge. It’s true that many people stay upset about his presidency, but mainly about the newest stuff. It would be nice if we could distance ourselves a bit from the problems and think again: What would be good reasons to impeach Trump?
1. The Russians sabotaged the election of Hillary Clinton because they preferred a political idiot over a savage politician. You can’t blame Trump for being liked by a foreign government, even for all the wrong reasons.
2. He is a political outsider. That may be true to a degree that was not seen before, but he’s not the first fictional hero from the big or small screen. Reagan showed that that doesn’t exclude someone for the highest office.
3. He’s incompetent as he does not understand the political process. That’s not a good reason either. Even if he’s practically illiterate and only gets his information from TV. He’s been chosen by the People, and he’d better be helped to understand how and where to fit in and be helpful.
4. He purposefully hurts people verbally, because it gives him free publicity, gives him short-term victories, and for many makes him come across as strong and competent. Yet, in a country where Free Speech is sacred, that is hard to block from the most powerful man.
5. He says rude things that damage the honor of the presidency and never says sorry. That may be true to a degree that was not seen before, but that doesn’t exclude someone from the highest office. Also Nixon was not more or less forced to quit just for being vulgar.
6. He’s socially inapt, especially not good at humbleness or empathy, especially in understanding society’s underdogs – except for Jews. In short: he’s not nice enough and upsets people. That is not a good criterion to dump him. One day we may need someone more nasty.
7. He’s authoritarian. It’s no problem to be the boss when you’re the boss, but in a democracy you can’t play despot. That’s true, but that only means that other politicians refuse to cooperate with him. He doesn’t have the possibility to turn the country into a dictatorship. Let him be angry about that for all he wants but – again – unpleasantness and character flaws are no ground for dismissal.
8. He’s mentally and/or neurologically sick. He’s not. He’s often misunderstood. People read into his behavior what they want to or project their own mindset onto him. Sometimes he’s forgetful, which is normal under stress or when you’re basically uninterested in what needs to be said or done. He is rigid in his tactics (did anyone notice?) and either a bully or a pushover, lacking the stamina and patience needed in negotiations but many are. He has a short fuse, but that makes him unpleasant to deal with but not incompetent. He’s crafty and not stupid.
9. He is dangerous because he could single-handedly start a nuclear (world) war, and he’s crazy enough to do so. This is not true as nuclear war is bad for business. Nuclear weapons only give money to the rich as long as they are stored and not used. Further, this idea that he could launch the missiles in five minutes is only to return fire, not to start a war as aggressor.
10. All of the above together. It does add up, that’s true. But it’s like someone with 20 ailments but no sickness. You may call him weak but not ill.
11. However, there is one aspect that I left out. He’s dishonest in the highest degree. Not just the way lawyers, businessmen and politicians typically might lie all day long. He has no regard whatsoever for facts that don’t suit him. The end – winning – justifies the means – always. He’s a weathercock, a pragmatist (non-idealist) and con artists in the extreme. He’s impossible to work with or trust. That should be the sole reason to send him home. And fast.
His removal will compensate for all the times we should have heard “I’m sorry.” And then, of course, a lot of damage needs to be undone.
The take away from this presidency must be that it should be over with lying indifferent politicians. This paradise of make belief and pretense ought to be vacated. We need to usher in a new era of politicians with integrity. Merely sending Trump off is not enough.