The US President calls his ban against all immigration from certain Muslim countries “new vetting measures.” This is a foul euphemism, if that’s not a contradiction in terms. The President has defended it as “not a ban on Muslims,” but that’s just spin. But it’s more than wrong – it will boomerang!
For the Left-winger: What’s wrong with this ban?
- Being careful with certain groups (“profiling”) proved highly successful in Israel, though it’s uncomfortable because it really smacks after discrimination.
- However, being selective against every member of certain groups is
- And to close the doors completely on every member of certain groups is the ultimate racism.
The criteria to admit or reject people must stem from individual norms – not group characteristics. N.B.: “No side curls” or “no beards” is not really personal.
The good thing of this new ban is that this will be condemned and fought until it’s taken down.
Activists, politicians, Members of Congress, lawyers, the free press, commentators, watch groups (seven great links!), think tanks and bloggers, it’s times to show what you’re made of, so speak up and act up!
For the Right-winger: a Proposal for a smart alternative
However, the above humanistic and Left-wing arguments may be cozy for Left-wingers, but if one wants to convince Right-wingers, one should use arguments that’ll speak to them!! Well, here they come.
A total ban is even stupid because it will weed out all or most Muslim extremists and murderers from certain countries, and set the doors wide open for and even encourages immigration of dedicated White undercover converts to extremist Islam from Western countries, who are not only hard to catch – they also will be hard to distinguish and follow, once they’re in. It’s like using an inept antibiotic – the worst microbes will survive and the infection will become worse. (Not to say that people are bugs.)
A rational alternative: Let the State declare an official difference between devout peaceful Muslims and potential violent extremists. Make the average Muslim feel a full, respected and even loved part of the US population. Speak out all the time, and shape and sharpen laws against discrimination based on race or religion. Create courses fighting prejudice on TV and for law enforcement. We need everyone to have a mind open enough to distinguish between unrealistic and realistic fears, between ideology and reality.
When that’s in place, there is a realistic opportunity to say to the regular Muslim:
- You live inside a democracy where you are respected and protected. We expect that moderate Muslims like you will be the first to discover violent extremists. In your countries of origin, if you went against the violent ones, you and your family ended up in a coffin. Here the situation is radically different. It’s not pleasant, but you have to report them. Whether it’s a member of your family or community, or an old friend or neighbor, if they begin to show signs of being dangerous, you must turn them in. That will be your safety and everyone’s safety. That’s how things are done in a democracy.
- Of course, complains will be investigated, and not be believed in advance without question. Misplaced suspicion will be overlooked; lies and smears from animosity between people will be punished on the slanderer.
- In our country, the good ones get protected and the bad cookies will be confronted. Everyone is invited to be part of the good ones and join the interconnected network of citizen protecting each other and all of us, with the State on your side.
Dear Right-winger! This is more laborious than a total immigration ban on certain groups, but it will create safety and will be held to your credit.
The vetting at the border is hard work, must be done well and humanely, and it never will be perfect. True safety will come from Muslims being part of society. They might even be able to export what they learn in the US, that resisting the mad ones will create safety, to other countries that would enable them there to establish democracies. This all will do the US proud. Making America greater than ever!
Last but not least, some false comparison is made between this ban on all people from 7 terrorist breeding countries into the US and a ban of decades by 16 Muslim countries for anyone who visited the State of Israel. Why does that comparison not hold?
- The ban on these Muslims is (supposedly) to protect the US; the ban on the people that live or visited Israel is meant to hurt Israel.
- Muslims might want to flee to the US; Israelis and Israel-goers will not want to flee to countries boycotting Israel.
- Some Muslim might want to hurt USers; no Israel-loving person would enter a Muslim country to terrorize the population there.
Quite a difference. The Muslim countries’ ban on Israel lovers is much worse. However, that doesn’t mean that the US has a privilege to do something stupid that is less bad.