Please take a moment to thank yourself for participating in this series (gratitude) – and to encourage yourself about the good future you are creating (hope).
- First, and as quickly as you can (two minutes or less), write down three times in your past when things have worked out well, despite significant obstacles, worries, and/or fears. Whatever first comes to mind is great.
Now, spend approximately 13 minutes thinking and writing about the following questions for your three happy outcomes:
- How much did you exercise agency – setting goals, making choices, generating options, responding to changing circumstances?
- How much did you exercise acceptance – waiting, placing hope in a power greater than yourself, “borrowing” hope and accepting help from others when you perceived limits on your ability to move forward?
- What strengths of your own did you draw on?
- What support and outside resources did you benefit from?
“Hope is God whispering in your ear.” – Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Wishing you joy in this moment and in the anticipation of a good future,