Let us begin with a disclaimer. Just like most people will never make it to the front page of the papers, most Christians are decent too. Christianity calls upon its adherents to live moral lives and teaches billions of people most of the main principles we Jews had to teach the Nations of the world.
And we do have true Gentile friends, some of them Christian. They are so different from those who’d secretly try to convert Jews out of existence!
Jews are naive. That’s one of the reasons G^d loves us. It’s also one of the reasons our prayerbooks try to teach us to trust no one. That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be close to our friends. But be very careful whom to trust. As a People, Jews cannot imagine how low some people can fall.
It is possible, but hard to spot a con artist. They got a head start from life-long fooling others. Let me suggest what to check for. On their own, none of these signs must be definitive. But the more doubts you get, the more suspicious you should become.
Learn Jewish philosophy so that you can recognize people who don’t go by those Jewish ideas. Though, it could be that they’re just too assimilated.
- Classical Christianity teaches that the afterlife is more important than life on earth. Then, they can be less materialistic and see a good meal or sex as a luxury that holy people should not need.
- Christians often learn that when we die, we either go to Heaven or to Hell. And also, that people are either saintly or wicked.
- The Christians to watch out for believe that only when Jews ‘accept Jesus,’ they can be saved for eternity. This, because people are evil from birth until they connected to Jesus. They pity people who are not Christian. Their ‘love’ for others makes them missionaries. But if anyone deserves this salvation is determined by the grace of G^d.
- Christians often assume that the essential difference of Jews from the Priestly lineage is that they must be more prominent and holier.
- Most Christians seem to believe that Jews are no different from Gentiles. But if they believe that Jews are holy, they believe that their holiness is a qualification and honor bequeathed by G^d.
- Apparently, some Christians think that it is OK to lie in order to convert Jews, but they will not betray or insult Jesus. Test by asking them to say: “Jesus never got married. Maybe he was a bastard.”
- Untrustworthy people will accuse you of bad character if you doubt them as if to be trusted is a right they are entitled to.
We Jews see these things differently. If I’d tell you how, it’s like I publish the code to the safe. Ask your rabbi. Ask two rabbis.