There’s a whole list of reasons why Israel is a haven for grown-ups who are a danger to minors.
- Jews are naive by nature, prone to believe in the goodness of all people even against the greatest proofs to the contrarily.
- Slander is so forbidden in Judaism that most people forget that malicious gossip is only forbidden when it has no constructive purpose. But this excludes warning others for dangers.
- For many decades, the fable was promoted in Israel that homosexuals are in fact child-rapists. With the heightened acceptance of Gays in Israel, it should be stressed that child-molesters do not deserve such tolerance.
- In many ultra-Orthodox communities, sexuality is not discussed until shortly before marriage. They also never heard of Michael Jackson. Such naivety can easily be exploited by child-molesters.
- There is this prejudice that abusers are scary looking people. Truth is that the most ‘successful’ ones come across as lovely and sweet.
- When almost all kids love a grown-up means nothing! Molesters often befriend most kids as their cover to go then after those kids who’d be least believed when they complain (isolated kids with a low opinion of themselves, shy, little support at home, etc.).
Such would-be molesters never work in old-age homes. It’s always at the children’s ward or daycare, the kindergarten, school transportation, etc. Every grown-up who works with kids must be screened for their record.
For neighborhoods with such naive neighbors, every child-molester must be registered nationally for everyone to look up. This is an uncomfortable political decision but it must happen.
The notion “It can’t happen to my kids” is an illusion. This denial must be broken. A law in Israel protecting kids against predators is long overdue.
It is ridiculous that Israel has the world’s stiffest legislation against sexual harassment (good for us), that Israelis love kids but that its children are not properly protected.
It should be a matter of honor for the Knesset and the government to compete who gets such legislation to the vote the quickest.