Yesterday President Donald Trump suggested Jews should only support the Republican Party. A claim that can only polarize the debate about Israel in the USA further. The reality is Jews can support the Democratic Party and keep to Jewish values especially if:
- They see government as a tool of the people not the enemy of the people and should not be run like a business.
- They believe in education as a right.
- They believe that bigotry should be called by its name. That there are not “two sides” to Charlottesville. That the radical right is as much a threat as radical Islam.
- They believe in a separation of church and state.
- They know that climate change is a real and imminent threat.
- They believe that a living wage is a right and that men and women deserve the same pay for the same job and health care should be affordable.
- They believe abortion is a right, not a form of murder.
- If they realize racism is real.
- That working collectively is better than self-interest and that something can have worth without being profitable.
- That they realize that democracy is not tyranny but rather there is a need for a Rule of Law.
To ignore this is to submit the politics of the USA to more vile rhetoric of the echo chambers of the social media