The U.S. and its NATO allies are outraged by Russia’s attack on Ukraine. Their goal is for Russia to quickly end its attack and withdraw its forces. Since military intervention on behalf of Ukraine, which is not a member of NATO, is infeasible, a political solution is required. To that end, the following conditions are proposed.
- Ukraine will accept membership in the European Union (EU) instead of in NATO. (Currently, six countries belong to the EU but not to NATO.)
- NATO will promise never to invite Ukraine or any other former Soviet republic to apply for future membership.
- Russia will immediately stop all military activity in Ukraine.
- Russia will promptly remove all Russian troops from Ukraine and from the borders of Ukraine.
- Russia will promise to never again invade or threaten to invade Ukraine or any other former Soviet republic.
- Russia will respect the independence of all former Soviet republics.
- If, at any time, Russia fails to satisfy any of these conditions, NATO will invite all the remaining former Soviet republics to apply for future membership.