Skip this post if you only like truths that fit your convictions
1. Israel, the nation-state of the Jewish People today, is a fully democratic state with full equality for all citizens. When discriminated against, you can go to the courts and, if that fails to the High Court. This is done often and often successfully. This is much unlike many other countries, where too often laws make the rich and powerful prevail in court anyway.
2. Racism is not necessarily about skin color or other outward signs of ethnicity. You can see that when you think about the Chinese genocide against the Tibetans and Uyghurs. It is discrimination against people of certain cultures by people of a dominant culture. Think about it.
3. Just like there is sexism and institutionalized sexism all over the democratic world, so is there anti-Muslim racism in Israel. Just as with sexism, the State tries to combat and root out the oppressions.
4. We don’t need anyone to call Israel an Apartheid State since we have the highest number of anti-racism groups in the world. Generally, Israelis hate racism. Kind of ironic when people from countries where Blacks are murdered by the police tell us we’re racist, whitewashing themselves. Just like I don’t protest German Antisemitism: The vast majority of Germans can be trusted to take care of it better than anywhere else in the world.
5. Treating all citizens equally is undemocratic because then you deny oppressions and maintain privilege and prejudices. Muslims in Muslim neighborhoods, women, and LGBTQ need extra protection. Women, Transgenders, Muslims, and Ultra-Orthodox Jews need extra support to get jobs. To try to stop that is racist; to promote this is anti-racism. Simple.
6. Whataboutism is unbecoming. Surely, polls repeatedly show staggering Antisemitism in Muslim quarters in Israel. Yet, 1. Much less than in Egypt or Jordan. 2. That does not whitewash anti-Muslim behavior or sentiment.
7. Racism, just like Antisemitism, sexism, and every other bigotry, is not an opinion. It’s the belief in a set of lies rooted in manufactured discomfort.