Calling a spade a spade and a Jew a Jew
In a first, the German parliament spotlights Nazis’ LGBTQ victims. That is very nice but not on Holocaust Commemoration Day.
To understand this position, one needs to know why the Holocaust was unique. It was the attempt to eradicate Jews from the face of the earth. All genocides are atrocious. All supremacy is murderous. All wars are costly.
Yet, trying to exterminate the Jewish Nation was worse than all other genocides, supremacies, and wars ever were and could be. Why?
Judaism birthed Monotheism and human equality, and thereby gave realistic options to polytheism, supremacy, classicism, oppression, injustice, and war. In fact, it started teaching a comprehensive vision for protecting the truth and the weak, overtaxing the powerful, equality for the law, importance to every man and woman, democracy, etc.
Jews laid the foundation not only for Christianity and Islam, but also for political Europe, democracy, and pacifism. Here it comes: The attempt, mainly in Europe (many powerful Americans complicit), to exterminate the Jews was not just a genocide of the other, and not just murder of one’s fellow, but of one’s parent. That makes the Holocaust unprecedented.
On top of that, don’t forget that in the 30s, Germany was the leader of the Western world, scientifically, culturally, you name it. What now is the US.
The industrial efficiency and cold-bloodedness make it all even worse.
And in addition to that, the hostility or at least passivity of dozens of European nations, a few excluded, made this the moral demise of Europe.
Rightly so, many Catholics and Protestants feel that this was a culmination of 2,000 years of teaching hatred and effectuating persecution, needing them to ask themselves how anything worthy of calling itself a religion for the betterment of humankind could have done this.
And the worst are the millions of Europeans and dozens of European States that have learned nothing from this. They have not brought the perpetrators to justice, not cleaned up Antisemitism from their news reports, are still arrogantly lecturing Israel, and won’t protect it in the UN.
Speaking of which, when recently, the UN decided to drag Israel to the long-term Antisemitic ‘International Court of Justice’ in the Hague, the only European countries who voted against were Germany, Austria, and Italy. Only the former Triple Alliance countries really had learned their lesson.
Yes, 20% of Germany is still deeply Antisemitic. But the other 80% gives it no power or legitimacy. In the rest of Europe, Jews are unprotected. As a visible Jew, today, I cannot safely walk the streets of the Netherlands. This is already for 30 years, and no one cares. Their national Antisemitic press organizations and reporters daily lie about Israel in any way they want.
That’s why the Holocaust should not be seen as just another genocide, just another racist attack on innocent people, just another form of injustice.
As long as Antisemitism is as powerful as it is still today, including within the Churches and Mosques, the good ones excluded, and our Allies stand out as rare exceptions, there is no place to generalize the Holocaust.
The first lesson of Auschwitz is: acknowledge and stop Antisemitism.
Gypsies, homosexual men, trade unionists and Communists, the demented, psychiatric patients, crippled, and others were also mass murdered by the Nazis, including in Auschwitz. They, too, must be honored and never forgotten. They deserve their own commemoration days.
This while, of course, left-wing, homosexual, demented, mentally ill, etc. Jews must not be excluded from the general Holocaust commemorations.
Also, innocent bystanders, civilian fatalities, deserve their commemoration dates. And Nazi soldiers who died left behind innocent loved ones and even can be mourned—but not glorified. And not together with the Jews.
Many Nazis are general bigots, equally hating Jews, Blacks, homosexuals, and others. However, we must not equalize the Jews out of the picture.
This, especially, because many oppressed groups have been set up against the Jews. Jews have been portrayed until today as the ultimate oppressor. Until that is undone, Holocaust Remembrance Day can only be a protest against the Holocaust and ongoing local and international Antisemitism.
Europe and anyone else should not have any opportunity to ignore the hard truth of what is Jew-hatred and to stop all of it today still.