Andee Goldman
Overseas Voting Consultant

American Overseas Voters Week: June 26 – July 3

By registering and voting earlier than domestic voters, overseas citizens can help ensure their ballots are received by voting deadlines. 

As a U.S. citizen living outside the country, you can vote absentee while living away from your voting residence.

ALEXANDRIA, Va. —The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) is sponsoring its biennial Overseas Citizens Voters Week June 26 through July 3, with support from the Department of State, and other federal agencies. During this week, embassies, consulates and overseas citizens groups offer voter registration opportunities to help Americans vote — wherever they are.

FVAP recommends overseas voters use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) at to register to vote and request an absentee ballot by Aug. 1 to ensure they can participate in the General Election on Nov. 8. The FPCA not only allows these voters to register and request an absentee ballot in one simple step, it also guarantees certain benefits under federal law. 

FVAP recommends overseas voters use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) at to register to vote and request an absentee ballot by Aug. 1 to ensure they can participate in the General Election on Nov. 8.


Using the FPCA ensures that:
  • Ballots overseas citizens will be sent out 45 days before elections for federal office (that’s September 24 for the November 8th election!)
  • Voters can choose to receive their blank ballot electronically
  • Voters can use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB) as a backup ballot

“For US citizens living abroad, the absentee voting process can require more time and planning,” according to FVAP Acting Director, Scott Wiedmann. “Many states require voters to update their registration and request an absentee ballot every year. In addition, state rules differ on how election materials can be submitted, in some cases, it’s only by mail, while others accept materials electronically (email, fax, or via an online portal).”

Voters can visit for their state’s specific voter registration and ballot request deadlines, as well as information on completing their FPCA, which is accepted by all states and territories. Voters can use FVAP’s easy online assistant at

Common asked questions ~

Will it affect my citizenship if I select “my return is uncertain”? No. 

Can a US citizen who has never lived in the country register to vote and request an absentee ballot? Some states allow citizens who have never resided in the US to use a parent’s voting residence as their own.

What if I don’t have a social security number or a state-issued ID? In Section 6 of the form, under “Additional Information,” write that you do not have a Social Security Number or a state-issued ID.

Does voter registration affect my tax status? You can vote for federal offices without a change to your tax status, but voting for non-federal offices may result in state and local taxation. There may also be tax implications when changing your residence from one state to another. We recommend that you seek legal advice when changing your voting residence. 

What is my US voting residence address? Your US voting residence address is used to determine where you are eligible to vote. For overseas citizens, it is usually the last place you lived in the US before moving overseas. You do not need to have any current ties with this address. 

What if someone else lives there now or the house was torn down? Your election office only uses your voting residence address to determine if you are eligible to vote in that jurisdiction and which ballot to send you. Your election office will not send any voting materials to this address. 

What if I do not know my voting residence address? If you cannot remember the US address where you last resided, we recommend asking family members and checking old records. Your election office may also be able to help you further. 

Can my voting residence and current address be the same? No. In order to vote absentee, you must be living outside of your voting district. 

Do I have to give my current address if I am asking for my absentee ballot by email or fax? Yes. The election office needs your current address to confirm that you are eligible to vote absentee under UOCAVA. This is especially important for citizens residing outside of the US.

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) protects the voting rights of an estimated 3 million US citizens living overseas. For additional information, visit, email When local assistance is unavailable, please call the Federal Voting Assistance Program toll-free number.   During non-business hours, citizens may leave a message. When doing so, please leave sufficient information to allow us to get back in touch with you in a timely manner. Tell us what country you are calling from, a complete telephone number including international prefixes, and your email address (if available).

With so much election information filling your feeds, what CAN you share with friends on social media? Information DIRECTLY from state and local election officials and #TrustedInfo2022 National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS)  

YOUR VOTE IS YOUR VOICE…. By not voting, your voice is silent and you allow others to speak for you!!

About the Author
Andee Goldman moved to Israel in 2006 from Las Vegas, Nevada. Since 2008, as a nonpartisan, she has volunteered helping Americans overseas to vote in America's Federal Elections. YOUR VOTE IS YOUR VOICE As an Israeli, she has become a history buff and enjoys sharing her experience and travels around Israel and the world!! Andee is available to answer your voting questions at
Related Topics
Related Posts

We have a new, improved comments system. To comment, simply register or sign in.