Antisemitism: A Jew Is a Jew Is a Jew
Everyday in the news we hear about new cases where Jews are being targeted by hate crimes. As Jews we need to stop dividing ourselves into categories. Instead we need to find ways to unite as a people.
As Jews we need to stop playing the game that one group of Jews is more important or Jewish then another. According to Jewish law, if your mother was Jewish then you are a Jew. It’s that plan and simple.
Those who are antisemitic don’t care what movement of Judaism you classify yourself with, we are ALL being victimized! I was taught when one Jew is attacked we all are no matter what type of Jew you are.
Let’s not forget the history, antisemites will go after ALL Jews just as Adolf Hitler did. When our family members or ancestors were being round up, raped, tortured and murdered — it didn’t matter if you daven (pray) or not, how you dressed, what you ate or who your rabbi was. They wanted to kill us ALL.
We need to remember and focus on the fact that united we stand, divided we fall.
One of the first songs I learned in Hebrew as a young child was “Hinei Ma Tov”. Perhaps it’s a song Jews from every walk of life around the globe should start singing together.
1. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you are orthodox, secular, conservative, reform or anything in between.
2. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you belong to a shul (synagogue) or not.
3. A Jew is a Jew if your mother is Jewish and your father is not.
4. A Jew is a Jew if you are a survivor of a sexual assault or not.
5. A Jew is a Jew if you are survivor of domestic violence (as an adult or child) or not.
6. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you have a disability or not.
7. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you wear a kippah, sheitel or not.
8. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you wear a shtreimel or a miniskirt.
9. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you were born frum and are now on your own Derech (path).
10. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you have a disability or not.
11. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew, if you are short or tall, overweight or skinny.
12. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you are red, orange, yellow, green blue or purple.
13. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you are LGBTQ or straight.
14. A Jew is a Jew is a Jew if you are a ger/giyoret (convert).
FYI: You are not considered a Jew if you worship idols, practice another faith including being involved with any type of messianic group.