“Opening Hours”, when we, Israelis, are getting service, is a phenomenon unique to the Start-up Nation, not to be seen or heard-of anywhere else in the world. To realize the existence of this unique phenomenon, we have assembled in this post examples of opening-hours in the USA and in England and then display, for comparison purposes, some examples from Israel (all data appearing in this post are net-based).
Accordingly, the post is divided into three parts: Examples from outside Israel (“The World”), examples from Israel and conclusions.
We emphasize that this post does not intend to slander Israel but rather shed light on an issue that needs drawing attention to and correcting (as I describe at the concluding paragraphs).
 “The World” (Mon – Fri always uniform):
USA (Generally): Monday through Friday— 9.00-17.00
* Bank of America: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-6:00pm; Saturday: 10:00am-2:00pm; Sunday: Closed
* Florida Government (Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles): Mon-Fri: 8:00am-5:00pm
* US Post Office: Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:00pm.
ENGLAND (Generally): Monday through Friday— 9.00-17.00
* U.K. Post Office: Mon-Fri: 9am-5.30pm; Sat: 9am-1pm
* HSBC (Bank): Mon-Fri: 9:00am-5:00pm; Sat: 9.00am-2.00pm; Sun: Closed. (Tue starts 9.30 am)
* National Insurance: Mon-Fri: 8.00am-6.00pm.
- Post Office:
Beer-Sheva (branch 271): Sun, Mon, Wed, Thu: 8.30-14.00, 16.00-18.00; Tue: 8.30-14.00; Fri: 8.30-12.30
Haifa (713): Sun, Thu: 8.00-12.30, 15.30-18.00; Mon, Wed: 8.00-12.30, 15.30-20.00; Tue, Fri: 8.00-12.00
Raanana (695): Sun, Tue, Thu: 8.00-20.00; Mon, Wed: 8.00-13.30; Fri: 8.00-12.00.
- Israel Electric Corporation: Sun-Thu: 7.30-14.30; Fri-Sat: Closed.
- National Insurance (Bituach Leumi; “All” relates to service dealing with all subjects; “Some” relates to a partial list of some subjects):
Ashdod: Sun, Tue, Thu: 8.00-12.30 (All); Mon, Wed: 15.00-17.00 (some)
Jerusalem: Sun, Tue, Thu: 8.00-12.30 (Some1); Mon: 15.00-17.00 (Some2)
Karmiel: Sun: 8.00-12.30 (Some1); Sun, Tue, Thu: 8.00-12.30 (Some2); Mon, Wed: 15.00-17.00 (Some3).
- Discount (Bank):
Netanya (branch 156): Mon, Thu: 8.30-13.00, 16.00-18.30; Tue, Wed: 8.30-14.00; Fri: 8.30-12.30, Sun: Closed
Jerusalem (321): Sun: 8.30-13.00; Mon, Thu: 8.30-13.00, 16.00-18.30; Tue, Wed: 8.30-14.00; Fri: Closed.
- Leumi (Bank):
Eilat (999): Sun: 8.30-13.45; Mon, Thu: 8.30-13.00, 16.00-18.15; Tue, Wed: 8.30-13.45; Fri: Closed
Tiberias (970): Sun: 8.30-14.00; Mon, Thu: 8.30-13.00, 16.00-18.15; Tue, Wed: 8.30-14.00; Fri: Closed.
The list of this insane mish-mash of public-serving opening hours across institutes, but unbelievably also within, can go on and on..
Hello Israeli parliamentarians, hello senior managers:
Are you listening?
To the anguish and irritation, waste of time and energy that this mish-mash is causing the Israeli public, in general, but, more importantly, to numerous individuals not savvy in surfing the net, who reach your offices, hoping to get service only to find closed doors;
Are you at all listening??