In 1948, all Arab neighbors of the young Jewish State invaded the new country to finish Hitler’s work. They did not succeed. But, many years, Israel found the world’s sympathy by stressing its underdog position.
Israel has a superior military might and mighty friends (the US) but is still a tiny country in a Muslim ocean where until recently, no one wanted to take a stand against classical Muslim Antisemitism.
Yet, very quickly, the Arab-Palestinian leadership (all terrorists, until now) copied and perfected the underdog propaganda. They were the ones to be pitied. They were the powerless and the hopeless. It worked.
Now, what can people who love the truth say against this powerful lie?
It doesn’t work to say that the underdog is still the Jewish State. Look at how the vast majority of the UN, time and again, singles out Israel for unreasonable, disproportionate, and untruthful criticism. What then?
Workable Truthful Alternatives
I would suggest to stop competing for who is world champion pathetics.
Rather, let us base our hasbara on who is the villain really. As follows.
1. Yes, Palestinian Arabs suffer a lot of violence. Mainly by other Arabs. They lack all civil rights in the Arab Diaspora and are locked up in camps.
Instead of harping about the plight of Arab Palestinians on Israel’s West Bank, demand full rights and citizenship for them in all Arab countries.
2. Yes, Palestinian Arabs on the West Bank are under occupation, but the occupiers are Muslim extremists. They lack democracy, human rights, a free press, only have mock elections if ever, and lots of poverty for those who are not close to the terrorists who pretend to be their leaders.
Instead of harping about Israel’s occupation, demand that there will be democracy and an end to terrorist hatred-based rule over them.
3. Yes, Palestinian Arabs often cannot help hating Jews but that’s (as with all Antisemitism) not the result of what Jews do or don’t do, but of a centuries-old hatred spoon-fed to them from the cradle.
Instead of harping about how bad Jews must be for Arab Palestinians that they hate them so much, demand that they stop poisoning the minds of their babies, children, and young adults. And stop glorifying murder, martyrdom, and victimhood. And instead, begin to take responsibility for building successful lives, and communities.
4. Yes, we see and read in the news how bad Israel behaves but the anti-Zionist (and often openly antisemitic) media bias is as widespread as the anti-Israel bias in the United Nations.
Instead of harping about those evil Israelis, demand that the media (including the large international press agencies) purge their tops from anti-Zionists/anti-Semites. When you read or see how Israelis are worse than anyone else, you can safely assume it’s untrue. Especially when Jews are portrayed as killers, mass-murderers, baby-killers, power-hungry — the old stereotypes that make the Holocaust seem not so bad.
5. Yes, there’s a lot wrong in Israel, but that’s everywhere. Israel has the world’s best laws against sexual violence, but it still exists. As in every place on the globe. Tel Aviv has the world’s highest percentage of vegans (and homosexuals). Still, meat is over-consumed in Israel (and Gay bashing still happens, blatantly and subtly). As in every place else. Yes, Israel has completely outlawed any form of racism. But, it still exists. As almost everywhere else. Yes, the Israeli worker suffers from capitalist autocratic semi-democracy (the rich almost always win), but that’s everywhere, in and outside the free world. But one thing is for sure. Whatever the wrong, a record number of Israelis will demonstrate against it and put pressure on the authorities to intervene. Just like we do not need to protest Antisemitism and Neo-Nazi activity in Germany. No matter the number of bigots there, the allies will outnumber them in count and volume and will block the racists actively and with gusto.
Instead of harping about everything really wrong in Israel, demand that non-Israelis tackle the same (but often worse) injustices in their own countries (splinter/beam). Singling out Israel is a form of Jew-hatred.
(Note how White USrs may label Israel as imperialist, colonialist, and racist, while their US lands were stolen from the Natives whom they mass murdered, built by Black slave labor, is the most capitalist, imperialist, and selfish State on earth, with rampant racism. While Jews just returned to their Native Lands, but were feasted on Antisemitism.)
6. Yes, Jews and Black, and Jews and Palestinians are played against each other as if they would have long-term opposite interests. This is a form of divide and conquer. And is mainly played to isolate and hurt the Jews.
Instead of portraying Jews as oppressors, demand that Jews are seen as one of the world’s oppressed groups and demand that opponents let go of their Jew-hatred because hatred of Jews can’t match with liberation of any oppressed group. You hurt the Jews, you hurt everyone’s liberty.