Sitting Shiva

Our very esteemed chief editor, David Horovitz, has laid out clearly for us in his Op-Ed Elections 2019 article, “The People Have Spoken: They Want to Live in Netanyahu’s Land”.

He is quite correct in his assessment of our recent election. The people, in truth, have spoken.

But I could not hear them speak. In which language did they speak? The vox populi was difficult to hear over the clamor of Blue-and-White claims to victory and the demise of the New Right Party led by two outstanding former ministers in the government and valued members of the Knesset.

Education Minister Naftali Bennett and Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked were surprisingly wiped off the political map. Not enough votes to give them the minimal required for seats in the Knesset.

The people have spoken. They want to live in Netanyahu’s land.  I do not,

I remarked to a neighbor that I was going to sit shiva. “Who died”, she asked?  I replied “Democracy in Israel has died. We will now be ruled by a majority of haredim zealots who have chosen theocracy over democracy”.

Theocracy means a rule in government by religious authorities who make the laws for all our citizens, including the secular Israelis who despise them. They amount to approximately 20% of the Jewish population in Israel and yet they rule with strong hands over the remaining 80% of us.

We are living in the 21st century but we will be ruled by medievalists with a 16th century mentality .And we will be led by a prime minister in his 5th cadentzia in that position who is awaiting indictment, hearing, trial and a verdict of guilty (without doubt) and a possible prison sentence. If so, I can guarantee that he will not receive a presidential pardon from Reuven Rivlin.   As Bibi sowed, so much must he reap.

I am sitting shiva alone, surrounded by my books and Arutz 12 on the television news broadcasts.

I don’t know the proper wording to be recited for a dead government.  I hope that my “Baruch Dayan HaEmet” will suffice.   There is a God of truth and in such cases as this it is to Him that I turn.

In a few more days, President Rivlin will meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu and will offer him the post of re-elected prime minister if he can organize a valid coalition government within 28 days.

If he cannot, the offer will be made to the defeated rival, Benny Gantz .  Unhappily for me and many millions of others, Netanyahu will be successful in forming a working coalition and will retain the seat in which he sat for the past ten years in the Knesset for an additional term of four more years.

The Knesset should…and MUST…. make a ruling limiting the term of office of a prime minister to two terms, similar to the practice in the United States of America and several countries of the European Union.

Power corrupts. And Netanyahu’s years of power have ensnared him in charges of corruption, fraud and bribery. Where there is smoke, there is fire. And with Bibi’s many cigars, be assured that there is a lot of smoke.

The in-fighting has already begun.  Bezalel Smotrich is demanding the cabinet seat as Minister of Education. Our former Minister of  Defense, Avigdor Liberman, is demanding a return to that post.

Litzman the haredi, will keep his seat as Deputy Minister of Health and the haredi parties will demand everything else.  Masters of theocracy, the ultra-orthodox zealots will control the laws governing personal and religious matters over every Jewish citizen in Israel.

David Horovitz was correct. “The people have spoken.  Israelis’ choice.  Israelis’ consequences”.

God help us all. The consequences will be devastating.  Democracy in Israel died last week

. I am in mourning for its loss.

Please join me in sitting shiva.

About the Author
Esor Ben-Sorek is a retired professor of Hebrew, Biblical literature & history of Israel. Conversant in 8 languages: Hebrew, Yiddish, English, French, German, Spanish, Polish & Dutch. Very proud of being an Israeli citizen. A follower of Trumpeldor & Jabotinsky & Begin.
Related Topics
Related Posts
Comments