The Likud and Netanyahu played rightwing and Blue and White played leftwing and that’s how they amassed votes. But the real right are the Ashkenazic Chareidic (super-religious) parties and the Chardal (national-religious) party and the real left are Labor, Meretz and the Arab parties. The rest are really central. And it’s the center that won at the polls.
And that’s why a national unity government should be the easiest and the most just outcome of these elections. All the extreme socialist and religious parties in the opposition and the rest governing.
Will it be a quiet four years? For sure not. Extremists don’t like losing. De Chareidic, Chardal and Socialist will demonstrate and protest and scream. That’s democracy too. And they may have influence through public opinion to get to more reasonableness where needed.
Meanwhile, the State of Israel will move closer to its ideal of a democratic Jewish State for all:
● All inhabitants will go to the army or do national service.
● All people will be able to marry whomever they want.
● On Shabbat, intercity public transportation will serve the not so religious public and automatic streetcars in the larger cities will even carry the religious.
● The Kotel will have three sections side by side (male, female, mixed).
● Free enterprise and support for the needy will both be enhanced.
● The Sunday will become a free day so that the religious and the secular will have time to hang out together.
● The safe part of Trump’s Peace Plan will be implemented and for the rest, we’ll wait till the Arab Nation comes around to kill antisemitism.
Bibi will be the beaming head of this all, giving every sector of his administration enough to brag about (and overlook the rest).
Do you think this will be tough to implement? Think about how hard it will be for Lieberman and the religious parties to sit together and agree. So far, they only agree on “our way or else, new elections.” So, when Bibi switches to forming a national unity cabinet, the religious parties have only themselves to blame.