Political analysts are trying to explain why Trump struck a deal with Democrats and what are consequences. I haven’t heard much I like.
They talk about how he took revenge on the Republicans and how bad the deal in fact was for him.
I believe that it was fully worth it. This is what they should see and say:
- Trump surprised us. Not because he’s a loose cannon, but rather because he outmaneuvered us. Let’s be good sports and admit we didn’t think of this.
- He did this to show Republicans: no one holds me hostage.
- He did it not only for his own sense of having a victory again but also for his base, to see their president win again.
- This makes both Democrats and Republicans more hungry to clinch a deal with Trump, played them against each other. He is showing who’s the boss. The art of the deal.
- This means nothing for the future. It creates no precedent, no loyalty, no predictability. It just resets the stage for negotiations.
Meanwhile it shows again that he’s a deal maker but one one can win from easily. Just ask what you want when he’s charming you.