A true Christian stops the lying, pretense, and denial
We Jews do have true friends and allies, especially among Christians. But not too many. And often a hated powerless minority within their Church.
The 2021 Antisemite of the Year Contest is on. See the top semi-finalists. I have a different idea than to pick from 10 famous people they selected.
Not the famous, headline-grabbing Jew-haters make Jews cringe, uncomfortable, and unsafe. It’s the silent majority that doesn’t speak up.
Average Gentiles. They may even see themselves as friends of Jews.
Any proud Jew immediately sees and every timid Jew immediately feels their pile of prejudices against Jews they try to deny. But, as long as they behave nicely, who cares about those ‘hidden’ bigotries?
I do. Because it won’t stay hidden. In fact, they are unaware of how biased, unfairly, and oppressively they look at Jews. A few examples.
● They want recognition from Jews (and reassurance) all the time that they are nice. They get highly irritated when their pretense is exposed. Just like insecure men want women to reassure them constantly. They also want to be entertained and pampered. They need the spotlight. They are the new victims under scrutiny. They should be pitied and helped. Everyone needs reassurance and compliments but not all day long. And preferably, from your fellows. Ask other parents for praise, not your kids. Every Ally of any oppressed group must give up (what may look to them as) being a control freak and (what the oppressed feel as) oppressive.
● They reject Hitler, Nazis, and when Christian, they reject the Church’s anti-Judaic past. They point at the changes since Auschwitz. But they will say: it wasn’t me. Those were not real Christians. Or, they will say that the Crusaders were saints and could not have hated Jews. They find it impossible to say: These are our roots and I will do everything to stamp out Antisemitism in the Church. There are plenty of anti-Jewish Christian communities around still, proudly proselyting, opposing Jews, Zionism. (No pity for Jews made Christians revisit their relationships with us. The emergence and survival of the State of Israel tore down their conceit.)
● They always tell us how much they ‘love’ us. This is the type of love as in ‘I love fish,’ and then eat one. That means: you love what fish does to you, your stomach. It’s a selfish love. If you’d really love fish, you would not eat them. They’re easily offended by any suggestion they harbor hatred. I’ve Jewish friends, family, neighbors, ancestry, love Israel, etc.! But, I don’t mind Gentiles really supporting Jews to get Divine love.
● They think that fighting Antisemitism is doing us a favor. Especially after the Holocaust ravaged the Jewish People. They fail to see that, if anything, the Holocaust rather discredited and was the moral downfall of Christian Europe. They should stand up against Jew-hatred to rid their own kind and life of this disease. It is a Gentile’s problem, not a Jewish one. How can they live with themselves and hope for a good place in Heaven in the Afterlife if not uprooting Antisemitism every day?
● They are often so insecure that they must put Jews down in order to feel good. They hold themselves as having a more sophisticated religion (Christian love instead of Jewish revenge), say they pray for us as if their prayers would be more effective than our own ones, they find us cute. When we have better arguments, so much hatred comes up for them. Of course, they find us condescending, as soon as we show any backbone. The Christian Bible adopted a very nice Talmudic saying: Matthew 7:3-5.
● Modern Christians normally don’t say openly that they feel superior. But they often see the oppressed position of Jews as proof that they’ve fallen from G^d’s Grace—never mind that they are doing the oppressing. And Jews have far fewer people and less money so Christians must be the New Chosen. That supremacy shows in their sense of invulnerability. They are smug and ‘saved.’ While their religion promotes humility.
● They often outright hate that Jews don’t need Jesus. They find us blind for it, stubborn and inflexible, unreasonable, infantile, and primitive. They don’t appreciate that Jews need to stay a small, special group. No, we don’t think it’s friendly to try to baptize us or make us intermarry.
● A worse, more subtle form of arrogance is their attempt to proclaim us as equal. They’ll talk about Jewish-Christian mutual, equal friendship and learning, reciprocity, sister-religions, brotherhood, etc. Anything but the acknowledgment we are their G^d-appointed teachers and they should respect and learn from us, not lecture us. Suddenly, there is no one-sided hatred anymore they need to take care of; it’s just a shared problem.
● They’re often stuck in their preoccupation with feelings—a Christian aberration of religion. They look down on Jews as being busybodies. But, their physical passivity keeps Antisemitism alive and kicking. When someone is drowning, you don’t just shout you love them and pray for them. You get them out of the water. But, when we request action, they experience that as an attack on their autonomy and freedom. Their good intentions should suffice. Also, because they hold that if they’d do anything against Antisemitism, they’d do us a favor, would do it for us.
● Their supremacy and passivity show most when we ask them to return to us what they stole. The coffers of the Vatican are bulging from looted Jewish treasures. Many Christians and Churches, with lies and deceit, keep countless Jewish converts hostage they refuse to release. They pretend to oppose stealing Jews. But, they won’t return one of them. Jews can be paranoid, but the flipside is an iron nativity, an inability to believe how mean and dishonest some groups of Gentiles can be.
Here you have a limited number (10) of examples of oppressive attitudes toward Jews and ways how billions of people keep Antisemitism going. Good, well-meaning people but with a terrible track record about this.
Many of the above examples you will see in a short but unpleasant email exchange I recently had with one of my readers. He read my sharp, popular blogpost Seven major ways in which Judaism is not Christianity and never will be. I’ll leave out his name since it’s not personal. He seems a native Spanish-speaker, not always polite, but I’ll only edit some typos.
Your discourse in the article “Seven major ways in which Judaism is not Christianity …” is really disappointing and simplistic and your sarcasm and ignorance towards the true Christian faith is pathetic. I am surprised that as a literate and “eclectic” man you can spread such platitudes and poor generalizations. Paradoxically you speak in this beautiful TOI forum with such a degree of prejudice similar to those preached by the same Antisemites so that you completely miss your noble subject which, I suppose, would be the necessary mutual respect (and love) — without any pretension of reciprocal supersessionism — between the two “sister religions/faiths” stemming from the same Holy common trunk and BOTH blessed by our same Loving God.
It’s a pity that your intellectual tone is so arrogant and sarcastic, you actually ignore what being an authentic Christian really means.
Since the Declaration Nostra Aetate (1960!) and John Paul II’s papacy (let alone the well-known love showed by the Protestant world), Jewish-Christian relations are fully redefined and I advise you to update your erratic insight about Christians versus our brothers the Jews and stop perpetuate anti-Christian stereotypes.
Thank you for your sharp reaction. I would be happy to help baptized Jews regain their Jewish status after you lovingly help them find their path back to Judaism and you sent them to me. We can use more Christians who truly love Jews.
I do speak about love while you only speak about hatred and resentment …
That’s what Christians say who hate Jews. In your case, it could be a coincidence.
And, as you can see here, most of Europe still hates the Jews. We need real solidarity, not just lip service. I hope that you find it in your heart to actually help us, pound your government’s doors demanding solidarity with us—for your sake.
I think it is time to slowly come out of this mental den of permanent and inflexible distrust against the gentiles even if antisemitic hard times are still very very present. I know the legitimate concern of my Jewish brothers/friends (I have the honor and good fortune to know several of them personally) and as far as I am concerned, as a confessing Christian believer, I do my part every day to fight against this scourge. But in your very legitimate cautionary stance of your forums, allow me to give you friendly and fraternal advice: you should be a little more moderate, constructive and respectful in your opinions.
Thank you for your friendly message.
It disturbs you that I’m a proud Jew because you think you’re better. As a friend of Jews, you should be humbler and be honored to learn from us. And as a proud Christian, you should be humbler too. Less fancy words and humbler and more action.
In my humble opinion. I don’t see why you should be right to think that you’re above us, telling us how to behave and think.
Yesterday you were angry, today you are friendly, but we need action. The L^rd expects no less, I’m sure. Jesus was humble–why are you not?
All the best and may you succeed,
So, please wake up from your naive slumber: https://www.jpost.com/christian-news/more-evangelicals-are-dismissive-of-israel-than-loyal-to-it-survey-687657
If you really want to help end Antisemitism, there is so much to do, also inside the Catholic and Evangelical Churches. So much that you won’t have time to nitpick on some Jew who rubbed you the wrong way. Thank you for your holy work. But do it for you, please.
Listen to me, you charlatan who only knows how to offend: as far as I’m concerned, I’ve reached my goal, i.e. to make your cheap rag disappear from the forum this week.
My mother-in-law from Melilla used to tell me “la indiferencia mata (la mala gente)“ and “la mierda, cuánto más se mueve más huele” [indifference kills (the bad people); the shit, the more it moves the more it smells–MM]
This is what I will do and please stop from now on to send me any more of your garbage messages.
Yet another Christian who chooses hatred. Success in Hell.
My Favorite Antisemite for 2021
For me, A is my favorite Antisemite for 2021. Self-righteous, ignorant, unwilling to learn from Jews, preachy, dishonest, and average.
On the same subject, it’s too crazy for words that in 2021, it needs a campaign to cancel an Antisemite. And what a Shanda that a Jew must promote this. I like Germany because there, the Gentiles do such things.
Now, let me finish with these telling, stirring quotes:
“A lack of caring enables all evil, including the Holocaust.” (Eli Wiesel).
“The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it.” (Albert Einstein).
“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: G-d will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” (Pastor Dietrich Bonhöffer, a rare German church leader who kept protesting the Nazi regime).
“The road to Auschwitz was not built by hate, but paved with indifference.” (Renowned Holocaust Scholar Sir Ian Kershaw).
“History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transformation was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.” (Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.)
While in the Diaspora, I never could write the above 2,000 sharp words.