Let’s first look at who failed and why. Clinton, Bush, Obama, Blair, Peres, Rabin, Barak, Sharon and Olmert never had a chance. But why?
They were each smart enough.
Maybe just because they were (kind of) Left-wing? Bush and Sharon were not.
Maybe because they were kind of naive? Better, but Peres, Bush and Sharon were not.
I remember how bad things were under Rabin and Peres. With every terrorist attack and broken promise by Arafat, they tried to appease him more with concessions, money, land, etc. Who says that crime never pays?
Their mantra was: with a little good-will from both sides, we must be able to. They never could accept that there was no little good-will on the other side.
Then we got Sharon. He was not naive. But Bush pressured him into giving away more land – and Netanyahu helped.
Netanyahu is also not naive. But he can also give in. However, Israelis have learned, we may hope. If he would cave in again and tries to give away more land, he would never get a majority of the people or the parliament behind him anymore. Game’s over for that.
So it seems that two things needed to succeed are here:
- Recognition that the other side has no good-will. (People who hate Jews cannot be trusted, but they can be arm wrestled into proper behavior.)
- Enough love for the Jews not to demand land for lies.
That makes for ideal circumstances now:
- Trump loves Jews – he won’t pressure them unreasonably.
- Netanyahu has no wiggling room to give away more land.
- The US has enough money and Egypt, Jordan and the Arab Palestinians are broke. So they can be forced into anything. That makes the road free to tell them: Jordan and some other hotspots with Arab Palestinians could form Arab Palestine, and Israel is the Jewish State with an Arab minority. Support it or we’ll replace your leadership with people who will support it.
End of conflict. Peace will come to this region finally. Now, that wasn’t that hard, was it?
Will Trump deliver? That will largely be up to him. If he wins, he deserves all the praise; and if he fails, all the blame.