Maybe not what you think
My oldest son and his division and many divisions are fighting for the liberation of Gaza from Chamas c.s. against the occupation.
The IDF target terrorists and their infrastructure and not civilians or their property. They hurt civilians, their property, and animals in three cases only: inevitable collateral damage, as’ Chamas seeking illegal coverage (behind civilians, houses, hostages, mosques, hospitals, schools, etc., every case a war crime, call the ICC), and errors (e.g. ‘friendly fire’).
This, of course, in stark contrast with the genocidal murderers, rapists, thieves, mutilators, and abductors who attacked all Jews or all (including Muslims) who hang out with them (including Gentile foreign workers).
I know the ethics of the IDF a bit and the mindset of my son. Why is he trying to spare civilians in Gaza? Several reasons.
1. He knows it can be a challenge to talk about innocent Gazans over the age of 14 because so many supported Chamas. Still, he’s not a judge to judge them. As long as they hold no weapons, he will protect them.
2. He undersigned the IDF ethics. Civilians are not to be targeted. Period.
3. This battle is not about revenge. A surgeon may cut out cancer but not get even with innocent tissue. Angry men are bad soldiers and bad Jews.
4. He may have bouts of pity with the Gazans but that’s not why he will try to keep them out of harm’s way. He does it not for them. He does that for him. He’s not a murderer. He didn’t come into the world to do evil. His goal in life is not to show how much strength he has. More than he doesn’t want innocents to die, he doesn’t want to murder or kill them. Yes, he can.
5. As a deeply religious Jew, he knows how precious life is. Life is not to be played with or taken lightly, not his own life, not the lives of his comrades, not the lives of all Israelis he is protecting, and not of Gazans who pose no acute harm (unarmed, or surrendering). He has no permission to sacrifice anyone (including self) for anything except to stop immediate danger that he can’t halt another way without risking innocent lives. As an ambulance driver in Tel Aviv at night, he showed he cares about every Soul.
Many outsiders seem to project their own morals and feelings on the IDF. This convinces them the soldiers must be furious, are taking revenge, and don’t care about how many babies die. They confuse them with Chamas. My father would say: ‘Speak for yourself.’ Maybe you would, but not them.
Biden should take pride in being trashed by Antisemitic voters.