Your New Home Office – Let’s do this.
So many of us are adjusting to a new normal. Many companies have asked their employees to keep working from home. Many people just don’t know what the future holds for their office space. While you may have set yourself up with a makeshift home office for the last month, it may become more permanent.
Now that the kids are at school, there are less distractions, which is a perfect time, to look at your home office and focus on making the most of it, making it functional, making it a productive and calm space for you to work.
1. Figure out what it is are the activities you do in your work day. write them down. then check if you are working in a good space to encourage those activities, notice from a functional point of view what else you need around you.
2. Make sure your chair is comfortable. And your feet are on the floor. Good posture will help you stay focused. Set a timer to have breaks every once in a while.
3. Plants!!! Put one next to you or in front of you. Studies have proven the hugely positive and health benefits plants can have on a workspace.
4. Surround yourself with work related books. logos, diplomas, inspiration. Either behind you (which is great for video calls), in front of you. Make it look like a real office space, that presents you in a professional way. this will have an effect on your productivity because you will have surrounded your self with your credentials and a feeling of purpose.
5. Make it personal, as in any normal work setting, People put up family pictures, have their favorite mug to put pens in, rubric cube, whatever it is you like to see. The more aesthetically connected you are to the space, the more you will enjoy it.
6. Keep a bottle of water close. Being hydrated and prepared will help you stay focused.
The way you set up your new office will have a huge effect on how efficient and productive you are.