To let your words stand with the Truth and the Jews no matter what
Yes, the vicious, anti-Zionist reporting from international and national news outlets makes it easy to become or remain an Antisemite. Such reports are always based on lies. These never are just other opinions.
Giving honest counter-information is called: hasbarah (Hebrew for explanation). It is similar to objections against any bigotry. It doesn’t need to be perfect as long as anyone protests.
Nobody died here because Israel built a warning and a 96%-accurate defense system and because the population can run to bomb shelters. To most Israelis, human life is more valuable than anything else.
But, the terror groups like to have a lot of dead to show how inhuman we supposedly are. So, they fire their missiles next to schools, mosques, etc. (hoping we’d return fire and they can show collateral damage) and build no shelter or warning system. The population can literally drop dead.
However, our soldiers only target terrorists and their weapons and entrenchments and only bomb hideouts of terrorists. If they see civilians or children close to their target, the attack is aborted for the time being.
In these three days, according to the junta in Gaza, 35 people were killed, 13 of whom were terrorists. At least 15 children were killed because 20% of their rockets fell inside Gaza. The regime doesn’t care, but the population does, but they have nothing to say.
One more thing: the Israeli army is the most moral army in the world. I’m not saying that out of chauvinism – it’s true. I can give countless examples.
The charges that we are child murderers and monsters are thousands of years old, but they are now especially important because they can be used to counter any shame for the Holocaust. “The Israelis themselves commit genocide, so we Europeans aren’t blameworthy.” Bad. The Dutch saying goes: It is impossible to catch hares with unwilling dogs. It is impossible to be at peace with unwilling neighbors. Jews in Israel want peace, but you can’t do it alone. Billions of Antisemites prevent peace for Jews at all costs.
Many friends of Jews feel for us but do nothing. That appears to be a non-Jewish disease, which is very persistent and is passed down from generation to generation.
Germany shows this is not a Law of Nature. There, 20% are still deeply Nazi, but the other 80% give them no chance to power and are actively standing next to Jews to honor and protect them. Whenever things go wrong (and they do), Allies spring into action. Upon entry, refugees or migrants there are taught respect for democracy, women, gays, and Jews.
The Netherlands is far from that. The Dutch point a blaming finger at Antisemitic Muslims, which is pure racism. They only spread Antisemitism because the Dutch still refuse to look at and evaluate themselves and recognize their complicity in the Holocaust and centuries of oppression of Jews. Of the slave trade they do, but not of the Jew trade. Germans show that this can be done differently.
Now, one doesn’t need to risk one’s life to stand by the Jews, unlike some exceptional Gentiles had to and have done. That still doesn’t mean anyone is interested. The Netherlands has a tradition to talk nicely about someone who is drowning, shouting one’s sympathy, but not jumping into the water trying to save them. This is so foreign to me that I don’t know a remedy.
‘The road to Auschwitz was not built by hate, but paved with indifference.’
When will that change in the Netherlands? Do not hold your breath until then because then you could turn quite blue.
Someone asked me rhetorically: What has one against the Jews? They have given – for better or for worse – the world Abraham, Moses, Spinoza, Einstein, Freud, Marx—who are never cursed. Such a nice People.
I answered: I know another group that gets the same treatment: They work harder than anyone, mostly unpaid, often selflessly, nurturing young, old, and anyone in between, friendly, non-confrontational, for as long as anyone can remember, with an outstanding warm empathy and sharp intuition. Women. They birthed and nursed us, and don’t cause wars, rape, steal, or murder. But, why then are they looked down upon? Research men, not women, to find the cause. (Yes, there are terrible women, but so few that they confirm these rules. Don’t let those close to children—or anyone else with feelings. But, don’t confuse them with moody women.)
Antisemitism is hard to face until you can give hasbara. To feel it as unbearable is apparently mainly powerlessness.
Hasbara does not aim to change the hard-core Antisemites’ opinions. The intent is that bystanders (including Jews) receive the correct information and to create an atmosphere of self-confidence in which everyone may open their mouth whenever people are getting lied to or oppressed.