Adele Raemer
Life on the Border with the Gaza Strip

My life on the move: Evacuation diary, Day 1

Road in my community blocked off to pedestrians and vehicles, to prevent us being exposed to sniper fire or anti-tank missiles from the Gaza Strip. (courtesy)
When home isn't the safe sanctuary it usually is

Evacuation Diary Days One and Two: Operation Shield and Arrow

For all of the military escalations, bar the first one which took place in 2008-9, only a month after losing my husband, and with no saferoom in which to take cover, I have remained in Nirim. I stay home with purpose: to bear witness to what is happening right there, right then,  and to report it to the world. 

This time, I chose to leave.

When word got out at 2 a.m, yesterday morning, that three high-ranking terrorist leaders had been neutralized in Gaza, we were all sent to our saferooms. Sleep in the saferoom that night didn’t come easily (especially since my friend visiting from abroad was already sleeping there). When we got up a few hours later, it was verified that there had not yet been any rocket fire, but the tension was palpable, and all I wanted to do was to safely get my friend out of the region ASAP to security in the center of the country.

Throughout that very morning, plans for the evacuation of our community were under way. As a community just two kilometers (about 1.25 miles) from the border with the Gaza Strip, our tireless workers at the Eshkol Regional Council set the wheels in motion for organizing our evacuation venue extremely quickly: quicker than ever before. It had begun yesterday around noon, when families were told they could evacuate to Netanya, at the expense of the government. Previously, it has taken a few days to organize all the details for evacuating such a large group of people, during which times we needed to dodge rockets and keep the kids indoors, and occupied, near the safe rooms. But already yesterday, 180 people from Nirim made their way to Netanya, including my daughter and her family.

Tired but safe in Netanya. (courtesy)

I, however, was not yet convinced. I remained at home, doing laundry, straightening up the house, watering the garden, making TikToks and eventually deciding to put together a small suitcase, just in case I felt the need to leave. 

Despite the urgings of my daughter, I didn’t yet.  

Since it was quiet in our area, without  explosions of rocket fire or the blares of incoming rocket warnings in the air, and clear of Iron Dome anti-rocket missiles in the sky, I decided that I could give myself more time to decide. So Tuesday night (Day 1 of the operation), I went to sleep in my saferoom, expecting a very noisy night ahead. 

When I awoke Wednesday morning, I was surprised once more (along with the rest of the country) that not a rocket had been shot off from Gaza.  I got up, watched the news, showered, and decided that if it had been so quiet up till then, maybe the Universe was telling me something. I am generally not one who is brave enough to drive our roads for 20 kilometers (nearly 12 and a half miles) while under rocket fire, but I got the message: “Leave now, while it’s still quiet.” 

I listened. 

I drove the two-and-a-half hours to Netanya, to find the rest of the evacuees from Nirim relaxing from the tension poolside, or at the beach, or doing any number of normal things  that people do with their kids on a warm beautiful day. (Not the alternative scene,  running with 0-10 seconds grace, to dodge rocket fire). We felt warmly welcomed by the people at the Ramada Hotel.

Less than an hour after my arrival, intensive barrages of rocket fire began, in the area near my home on Kibbutz Nirim, as well as throughout towns and cities as far away as Herzliya to the north and Beer Sheva to the east.

Here’s a question: Have you ever had to drive during incoming rocket fire? It’s like this: every cell of your body is alert and wound up tightly like a spring waiting to be released. And by the time I finished driving myself to Netanya, I was wasted. And I could only ask myself: was it sharp foresight or dumb luck that got me out of the range of rocket landings just in time? I say the latter. Regardless….

The previous day, my daughter had exited Nirim so quickly that she hadn’t remembered to pack clothing for her toddler (who can judge a mother packing for three littles with the threat of rocket fire looming?). So I had to drive to the nearest mall to pick up some essential basic baby-wear. Evacuating under impending rocket fire is not like going on vacation, regardless of what it looks like in the pastoral photos you might see. In the pictures, kids are smiling, being graciously entertained by artists, happy to come and cheer up those who left their lives and family members, homes and sometimes pets back in a war zone for an unknown period of time. 

Entertaining evacuees from Nirim. (courtesy)

Some of these military operations have taken one day and then life has returned to normal; others — such as Operation Protective Shield in 2014, on the last day of which two fathers on my kibbutz were killed by a Hamas mortar, and a third got his legs blown off — that operation took 50 days. 50 days during which time kids were spirited away from their daily routines and everything familiar to them: their beds, their toys, their educational frameworks. They were kept occupied by the kibbutz team in charge of organizing  activities, but it’s not the same when your heart is still back home, where you know that rockets are exploding all around the home, community and often one of your parents that you left behind.  That memory is one carved into the brains of all the kids 14 years and older, as well as the adults on my kibbutz. That is the situation in which we find ourselves once again, for the third time (at least) in Operation Shield and Arrow.

Truthfully, I was too tired to write more last night, so I will continue sharing more of our life as evacuees in Netanya, when I sum up my second day on the move. Hoping for safety for those who remained behind on Nirim, and all those in the line of rocket fire — and now, typing these words, I have just received another phone alert, an incoming rocket warning for Nirim.  

About the Author
Born in the USA, Adele has lived in a Kibbutz on the border with the Gaza Strip since 1975. She is a mother and a grandmother living and raising her family on the usually paradisaical, sometimes hellishly volatile border. She moderates a FB group named "Life on the Border". Adele recently retired after 38 years as a teacher of English as a Foreign Language, as well as a teacher trainer and counselor for the Israeli MoE for EFL and a Tech Integration Coach. She blogs here about both Life on the Border, as well as about digital pedagogy, in "Digitally yours, @dele". She is a YouTuber, mostly on the topic of digital stuff. ( Her personal channel covers other issues close to her heart (medical clowning, Life on the Border, etc.) ( In addition, she is a trained medical clown and, although on COVID hiatus, until allowed back into hospitals, she clowns as often as she can in the pediatric ward in the hospital in Ashkelon. As a result of her activity as an advocate for her region, she was included among the Ha'aretz "Ten Jewish Faces who made Waves in 2018" In November 2018 she was invited to Geneva by an independent investigative committee for the UN to bear witness to the border situation, and in December 2019 addressed the UN Security Council at the request of the US ambassador to the UN.
Related Topics
Related Posts