The Democratic candidates love to blast Trump’s economy working only for the super-rich. Truth is that it’s also working for the small-scale stock owners. Those who put their chance success at the stock market, their inheritance or life’s savings into stocks. They vote Trump because their stocks are doing great. And those are their only hopes for their old age.
Want to win from Trump? Start including the small capitalists who are too pleased with how it’s going now. Promise not to go after them. Promise to protect them too.
Everybody lies about money. The poor feel ashamed and hide how poor they are. The rich may feel ashamed and hide how rich they are. And so do most people in-between. So, when asking the small capitalists why they intend to vote for Trump, they won’t mention their few stocks. They will name anything else. But it’s their financial security they want to protect.
They are not really glad with this illiterate lying uncivilized self-serving bully in the White House. But they won’t tell you why they’ll vote for him.
Democrats may get them on board by standing with them. “We’re not after you.” Sanders must say so, Warren must too, and everyone else.
There are still people who say that the economy is doing great because of Obama. Not true. Yang says it best. It fakes doing great because the economic models measure the wrong things:
- They tell us how low unemployment is but not how low the salaries are (lacking a decent minimum wage) and so how many jobs you must work to pay the rent and still eat.
- They tell us how high the stock market is but not how high national debt to get there (to be paid off by later generations).
- They tell us how large short-term profits are but not how greed is destroying nature, endangering human survival and creating wars for profit.
- They do not rate at all idealistic activities that many of us find the most important: being a good parent, neighbor or housekeeper, a caring activist, an artist, taking care of our own well-being.
- They tell us how well the US economy is supposedly doing but not at which price by ignoring systemic racism, gun violence, drug abuse, suicide, life expectancy, stress, distress, personal debts, family discord, social injustice (the wealthy paying zero taxes, millions un(der)-insured for healthcare, no limits for investors in health care, weapons, gun, medicine manufactory).
- They like ‘creation of jobs’ by wasting money on weapons, petrol, cars, and ‘saving money’ by ignoring infrastructure, greening, and jobs of the future, pleasing the lobbyists running Washington (Trump IS the swamp), etc.
In Israel, most people vote for their safety. In the US, most people vote for their wallets. Small US capitalists rationalize and tolerate anything Trump does because he makes them richer. This is a large group of people who, like most other people, have very little influence in the great picture. Their only power is their small amount of money. ‘Only’ attacking the .1% frightens them too. Because when Wall Street goes down, so does their security. They need big reassurance from the Democrat candidates.
Democrats try to win back from lying Trump the tea party forgotten men and women of America. The working poor, the economically powerless.
Fine. But while trashing hyper-capitalism, stand with the small capitalists.