Trouble is brewing in the solemn but thriving Spanish Portuguese Community in London.
1. Orthodox Sephardic Rabbi Dweck, formerly Los Angeles: https://www.facebook.com/RJDweck, now in London: https://www.facebook.com/joe.dweck.1?fref=mentions, has had the audacity to teach about gay men for 90 minutes and only in a positive way supportive way.
2. At least, that’s what the press says: Rabbis at odds in dispute over gay love, Senior rabbi in bitter war of words for claiming ‘gay revolution is fantastic’, Senior rabbi: ‘Gay revolution is fantastic’.
3. We can’t know for sure, because the audiotape is thoroughly removed from Internet and Facebook (and they told us: Be careful what you post on Facebook because once it’s posted you can never get rid of it. So not so!):
Perspectives – Class 16: Homosexuality in Torah in Senior Rabbi Dweck Blog,Rabbis’ Blog. Perspectives – Class 16: Homosexuality in Torah. Source Sheet here.
Let us make do with a tape of his acceptance speech (with top hat!) at the congregation that he now found himself in trouble, promising them already then yet another shocking meeting with modernity. Reportedly, in the past few years, he’s been tremendously popular, drawing a large crowd of young Jews – and no doubt jealousy from others.
4. He’s been praised for his original stand: Dweck’s position is as courageous as it is nuanced, and formally from London, Orthodox Rabbi Jonathan Cohen, now from Netivot, mentions on his Facebook page his support for his embattled colleague.
5. Rabbi Dweck has been very active educating his community on other controversial topics too. Here one from merely six weeks ago: Rationalist vs Mystical Judaism – Rabbi Joseph Dweck in Conversation with Rabbi Dr. Natan Slifkin.
6. Thank G-d, the Rabbi has also enemies. Here you can see for yourself what low-level language his worst contractor uses to paint his opponent as: worse than the Reform [!], a monster, worthy of excommunication, the biggest enemy of the Jewish People [no less!], a criminal that must be stopped [real incitement that would be a criminal offense in Israel!], proclaiming about him: I didn’t find a more wicked person on [sic] the Jewish Nation in 23 years; he never did anything positive for the Jewish People; he only spreads slander and bashes and smashed people’s reputation [look who’s talking!]he pushes people away from real Judaism; he [no doubt] is a violator of Shabbat, has no fear of Heaven; he fools people, and is delaying the coming of the Messiah [which happens because of baseless hatred!]. Who needs friends with enemies like that?! After being attacked like that, anyone sympathizes with the attacked! (Compare this to the British movie Witness For The Prosecution, where the accused is acquitted because how viciously he’s attacked.)
This slander, no doubt mightily contributes to Rabbi Dweck’s great success in the community – libel always backfires. The above was posted by someone who in turn questioned if his assailant is really a rabbi: “Rabbi” Yosef Mizrachi Slams Rabbi Joseph Dweck. As someone said: Bad things for the nation are good things for the media.
Here he talks against Rabbi Dweck’s new stand on gay men: The Rasha – Wicked & Corrupted Ideology Of Reform “Rabbi” Yosef Dweck Promotes Homosexuality – more than two hours of “reactions” to a 90-minute lecture. You can clearly hear how the speaker does not even understand much of the notes that he reads compiled by someone else. We do not believe in the authenticity and correctness of the unauthorized supposedly real quotes of Rabbi Dweck’s lecture from this second-hand critique.
7. A tremendous Sephardic Rabbi, Rav Aaron Bassous, is Monday going to answer Rabbi Dweck. I don’t expect to learn anything from him there as it seems [here] that his main expertise lies in heterosexual relationships. But is would definitely be interesting to see how the learned Rabbi will hopefully properly and with grandeur (grandness) handle the scandal.