A veteran journalist friend of mine refuses to predict the future. He claims that it isn’t his role, and furthermore he considers it dangerous. For many years, I have agreed with him. Today, I change my mind. After thinking a bit, and consulting with some friends and colleagues, I would like to present some predictions for 2019, while wishing readers a happy secular new year.
Some Predictions for 2019:
- Bibi will not be re-elected.
- Trump will walk.
- The war in Gaza, status quo.
- There will be more free concerts, while prices of paid concerts will rise.
- Unfortunately, the Ebola virus will spread.
- President Reuven Rivlin will retire.
- Trump’s wall will be built, but only a fraction of it.
- We will hear strange signals from outer space.
- Markets—down 20%.
- Immigration to Israel from the USA, down.
- September-October, many more violent hurricanes in the Caribbean and USA.
- Hula hoops will make a comeback.
- Ordination of women rabbis in some streams of Orthodoxy will increase.
- The US power grid will be sabotaged.
- Cannabis will be legalized in Israel.
- Sound pollution will continue to increase to dangerous levels.
- Birthrates in Japan will go up by 5% (finally!)
- Once more, there will be a major recall of auto airbags.
- Elon Musk will reveal one new amazing idea.
- Michael Moore will stage a comeback (from his Trump film setback).
- A major writer will emerge from the island of Fiji.
- The price of gold will rise.
- The price of pork will fall.
- Andaman Islands will be come the new vacation hideaway for Israelis.
- Unfortunately, a cure for Alzheimer’s disease will not be found.
- NE Patriots’ Tom Brady will finally retire; likewise for manager Bill Belichick.
- All eyes and ears will be on Alpha Centauri.
- The poor will get poorer, the rich richer.
- Weakening North Atlantic current will create drastic changes in North American Ocean climate.
- Many airline mile points will be devalued.
- Journalists with anything to say will remain at risk.
- Artists with anything to say will continue to be unfunded.
- Few at 70 will really be able to retire.
- Life expectancy will rise. In some parts of Africa it will fall.
- U.S. travel warnings for Israel will stay in place.
- The fastest growing Israeli city? Tel Aviv.
- The Chinese will discover nothing new on the far side of the moon, but will create a magnificent hiding place for themselves.
- People will continue to outlay huge ticket prices for outdoor rock concerts.
Additional predictions from friends and colleagues:
- That in the U.S., the political situation will come to a boil, and somehow the pot will be removed from the stove.
- Peace will blast.
- A cure for prostrate cancer will be found.
- The Israeli elections will result in some form of unity government.
- The Israeli elections will result in some form of disunity government.
My Resolutions for 2019:
- No Stress.
- Avoid habit.
- An adventure every day.
- Make something new every day.
“Kryia” (Fanfare for Brass Quintet and Percussion), by S. Horenstein, commemorating the new campus of Gann Academy, Boston. Triton Brass Quintet; Jeffery Kowalsky, percussion. ACUM/ASCAP All rights reserved.
Coda: “Happy Trails to You”