Once again last week, the Palestinians and their anti-Israel allies targeted the Jewish nation for attack under official United Nations’ cover.
Using the excuse of nuclear non-proliferation, which all agree is a vital and worthy goal, the U.N. General Assembly’s First Committee (which is responsible for international security) voted overwhelmingly (152-5) to strip Israel of its presumed nuclear weapons and have the IAEA assume purview over their program.
Note that many of the countries that voted against Israel still don’t even recognize that it exists as a state, which means that the whole resolution makes no sense anyway.
As the Israeli Deputy Ambassador to the U.N., Michal Maayan, said, Israel has “unique security challenges” in the Middle East. Moreover, Israel never admitted to nuclear weapons, never threatened anyone with first use of nuclear weapons, and supports a weapons of mass destruction (WMD)-free region with a comprehensive peace and a verifiable dismantling of all WMD programs by its neighbors.
In contrast, there are indeed many nations that have nuclear weapons, are building more nuclear weapons, are testing nuclear weapons, and threaten to use nuclear weapons on their neighbors. Here are some examples:
- Russia: Since Russia’s unprovoked war against Ukraine in February, Putin has threatened to use nuclear weapons multiple times. Whether Putin would actually use tactical or strategic nuclear weapons or simply arrange an accident at the Zaporizhzhia power plant in Ukraine, which is the largest in Europe, remains anyone’s guess.
- North Korea: North Korea is threatening to conduct more nuclear weapons testing, and it continues provocations with the West, including recently shooting ballistic missiles over Japan.
- Iran: Despite long-term denials, Iran now admits to being ready to build nuclear weapons, even as they continue to threaten Israel with annihilation and to attack the West and are arming Russia with thousands of kamikaze drones to attack Ukraine.
- China: Even as China threatens to annex Taiwan by military force, they are rapidly expanding their nuclear weapons and could quadruple their arsenal by 2030.
- Pakistan: Pakistan, which hid the 9/11 terror mastermind, Osama Bin Laden, threatens India with nuclear weapons, putting at risk what is expected to be the most populous nation on Earth with 1.4 billion people by 2023.
As war rages or threatens in hotspots around the world, and the nations responsible are actively pursuing, building, testing, and threatening others with nuclear weapons, it appears that the United Nations is deliberately ignoring the real dangers here.
If only the United Nations would live up to its charter! Then we might truly have a world of tolerance and international peace and security.
Is the United Nations really about bringing the nations of the world together?
Or is it about casting the Jews to the wolves?