Abuse by police is known for many years in many countries. It took a video of police taking many minutes to slowly kill a peaceful innocent Black man for the whole world to erupt in protest, to say enough is enough, structural changes are needed, both inside the institution of the police and to dismantle even any sliver of respect for a colonial past and slave trade.
These police murders have a lot in common with uxoricide, the murder of wives by their husbands (or boyfriends or ex-partners), and sororicide, the murder of sisters (‘honor killings,’ by their brothers or fathers, uncles).
● Almost always the perpetrators are men. It’s not corona isolation, it’s not bad marriages, it’s not stress, and it’s not immoral family that did this. It’s men. And just like not all police or all Whites are racist or abuse, not all men are sexists and violent. But, as a society, we must stop being so impressed with powerful men. We need to teach all girls self-defense and self-respect enough to move away from ruthless men in the family. We must appreciate women so much that they would never marry possessive self-centered men.
● This is a total corruption of their function. Police, husbands, and brothers are there to protect, not to possess and murder.
● Almost always they kill full of anger and hatred, without hesitation, without any respect for the person and the life of the victim.
● These kinds of murders are around for a long time and so cruel that the news will not describe the details. Not seldom is such a woman or girl stabbed dozens of times and her body gruesomely mutilated after death.
● These racist and sexist murders are only the tip of the iceberg. Also all intimidation in general of women by their close ones should be exposed as highly problematic, also when it would not end in murder or suicide.
Why did the world explode from the video of the murder of George Floyd and not by unending gynecide, murder of women? Maybe simply because there are no descriptions and no pictures of the latter murders. The previous Shabbat, a husband stabbed his wife 18 times and then jumped out of the window. The news, at one point, showed a picture of his body sprawled out on the concrete driveway. But what was not shown was what he did to the one he was expected to protect. Just before Shabbat, came the news of a husband suspecting of rendering his pregnant wife brain-dead. Since the COVID-19 lockdown in Israel began, four women were murdered and another four victims of domestic abuse committed suicide.
In Iran, the number of ‘honor killings’ is estimated at about two per day, 600 per year. Even when a father murdered his 14-year old daughter who was violated by a stranger, the world did not erupt in protest.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t advocate us all looking at gruesome footage. I didn’t look at the clip of the murder of Mr. Floyd. My retinas saw enough trauma. Surely, seeing was what did it, as I stated before.
Maybe it’s from good taste or to protect us from feeling disgusted that police hide what these girls and women look like after the assault.
But it is also possible that policemen (!) and male reporters and news editors subconsciously don’t want to expose so much male violence.
It seems that we need publication of pictures to cause a similar worldwide storm of protest and calls for reforms to not only stop racist murder and to end institutionalized racism but to get an uprising against sexist murder and to end institutionalized sexism too. Lives of our dearest are at stake.
Show us the mutilations of the murdered wives next to wedding pictures (including the face of the overly sweet husband) and the gruesome wounds of the girls next to her baby pictures! This just needs to stop.