There are so many good answers why Italia got such a heavy COVID-19 blow that it will take years of research to see the forest from the trees.
Here are 11 very reasonable plausible candidates:
- Italia was the first of the European countries while the World Health Organization was still pretending that this wouldn’t be so bad and not so much information came from China. We know that early action is crucial. (Taiwan had 6 deaths on 23.6 million people!)
- Italia is very densely populated — from Now York we see how well the COVID-19 virus likes that.
- Italia is extremely gray and we know that the elderly are extra at risk. Many of its elderly live in old-age homes. Even more seem to live with three generations in the same home. Paradise for viruses.
- Italians, reportedly, wanted nothing to do with lockdown — you only live once — angry mayors had to shout to their citizens and threaten them. We know now from all countries that lockdown is crucial.
- Many countries around the globe are not democracies — including China — and the true number of their victims may never be known.
- Italia has a known pollution problem and the virus was found in Italian smog. If you get it from inhaling city air — which is not proven yet — but if, then prevention is really grim.
- Italia had cut on the health system much more than any other European country because, under austerity, Italians don’t cut on fun.
- COVID-19 is either contained or the health system collapses and then it gets exponentially worse when labs and doctors are KOed.
- Once there were critically too little beds, patients were not sent to hospitals when it was not so bad (when they finally came it was often too late) and when they had a very small chance to survive.
- Extra disastrous, was no doubt, to free up hospital beds, let COVID-19 patients, after they survived a crisis, get well in … old-age homes.
- There were early reports that Italia had a worse strain of the virus.
I’m not counting economic pressure by economic lobbyists because they have claimed so many lives in so many countries — except maybe in Israel. After all, here we have PM Mr. Capitalism so he was able to resist them. (It’s Jewish to prioritize saving lives which eventually is the cheapest too.)