Back in the 1950’s and 1960’s, the Golden Age of Television, there was a game show entitled To Tell the Truth. Its premise was simple: a panel of celebrities (Orson Bean, Kitty Carlisle, Tom Poston, and Peggy Cass) were presented with three contestants, each claiming to be a person who had been newsworthy recently but whose face was not known to the general public. Two of them, of course, were impostors who had been briefed before the show with enough information to answer the panel’s questions, albeit not perfectly. Following the round of questions, each panelist was called upon to vote for which one, #1, #2, or #3, was genuine. Then host Bud Collyer said, “Will the real John/Jane Doe please stand up!” To add drama, frequently one of the impostors would start standing up and then sit down, whereupon the real McCoy stood up. The contestants were then awarded prize money proportional to the number of incorrect votes, that is, the number of celebrities they fooled.
Why bring up this reminiscence? Because it is more relevant to today than one might think. Millions of Americans and Israelis are being fooled by the racist fascists of the Left, who pose as humanitarians while ascribing their attitudes and deeds to their opponents, in keeping with Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals. Why are the USA and Israel the principal targets of the radicals? Because, as Charlie Kirk observes in The Conservative Response to the Great Reset, America and Israel are the only nations in the world founded on Judeo-Christian principles, which Leftists despise. (Recall that Karl Marx called religion “the opium of the people.”) Furthermore, the two nations are intertwined, for as The Midrash Says, citing Haamek Davar, “As long as the Jewish people’s lifestyle is distinct from the nations’, they shall dwell in safety, but if they try to assimilate among the gentiles, they will not be recognized by them. The nations will act with antisemitism and repel them, as in Germany before and during the Second World War.” [Volume 4, The Book of Bamidbar, footnote p. 321] (We may add parenthetically that the rate of intermarriage among non-Orthodox Jews in America is about 70% as a measure of assimilation, and sure enough, antisemitism is increasing explosively.)
There are additional connections between America and Israel. At the tactical level, Americans have demonstrated against the proposed Israeli judicial reforms, and radicals in both countries are largely financed by George Soros (whose surname appropriately rhymes with apikoros). Philosophically, Leftists deny the legitimacy of both nations, as exemplified by the born-Jewish Ben and Jerry, who refused to allow their ice cream to be sold over the armistice line between pre-1949 Israel and Judea and Samaria, and have now tweeted “… on American Independence Day to say, ‘The United States was founded on stolen Indigenous land. This Fourth of July, let’s commit to returning it.’
“The message was linked to a blog post on its website saying that the country should ‘start with Mount Rushmore,’ the famous site with the carved faces of four American presidents that is located on land sacred to the Lakota Sioux Indian tribe.
“’What is the meaning of Independence Day for those whose land this country stole, those who were murdered and forced with brutal violence onto reservations, those who were pushed from their holy places and denied their freedom,’ the post said in part.”
The American public has responded by initiating a boycott of Ben and Jerry’s products.
We can add parenthetically that Canada, under the leadership of Fidel Castro-admirer Justin Trudeau, is also delegitimizing itself by adopting Indigenous People’s words for place names, including renaming the Sir John MacDonald Parkway, which honors Canada’s first Prime Minister, because, as alleged by Algonquin Indian activists, “Macdonald’s government enforced policies that starved Indigenous people to force them from their land and outlawed their ceremonies.
“It also centralized and expanded a residential school system that took generations of children from their families and tried to wipe out their cultures. There was widespread abuse and thousands of children were killed, with trauma still being felt today.”
However, after a simulated trial for crimes against humanity, former Supreme Court Justice, Rt. Hon. Ian Binnie, issued a mixed verdict that while Macdonald should have done much more to relieve the Algonquins’ suffering, and thus would have been civilly liable, his conduct did not rise to the level of criminal liability beyond a reasonable doubt.)
Regarding Israel, an extensive catalogue of the lies that are told about Israel and the refutation thereof can be found in Morton A. Klein’s essay “Our Greatest Weapon Is Exposing the Truth So Why Do Jewish Leaders Fail to Do So?” in Betrayal: The Failure of American Jewish Leadership, edited by Charles Jacobs and Avi Goldwasser (Post Hill Press, 2023), pp. 127-147. To update, Thursday morning I awakened to the regular newsletter from CAMERA, the Committee for Accurate Middle East Reporting and Analysis, whose lead stories run the gamut of anti-Zionist lies:
- A July 10 guest essay in the New York Times, which seems to be increasingly taking on the tone, if not the content, of Der Stϋrmer, defends the murder of Israeli civilians by Palestinian terrorists as “resistance” and even criticizes Israel for defending itself.
- The recent Israeli counter-terrorism operation in Jenin motivated dishonest media accounts by CBS, the BBC, CNN, The Independent, and the Washington Post, among others, who uncritically accepted the wildest Palestinian and United Nations lies, with the BBC going so far as to revive the ancient blood libel by accusing Israel of deliberately killing children.
- “In March, CAMERA helped expose an offensive and factually inaccurate display on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that was set up on the grounds of the Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC)…. The display, which was sponsored by the university’s ‘Social Justice and Equity Centers’ (SJEC), was subsequently taken down, and reports indicate that the SJEC program is being shut down.”
Sometimes it seems that any resemblance of media coverage to the actual facts of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is purely coincidental.
Underlying all these shenanigans is the indiscriminate use of the Hitlerian Big Lie technique, that is, if one tells a big enough lie often enough, people will believe it. From all indications, this expression of disrespect, even contempt, for the general public is justified operationally, if not theoretically. In essence, because the Left has difficulty reasonably justifying their policies, they have to resort to slander and name-calling to fool people into supporting them.
Let’s try to inject reason into this political insanity.
- Who are the real racists, those who support Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s vision of a colorblind society in which people are judged as individuals, not by their race, or those who want to lump people into identity groups, so they are judged purely by their demographic attributes, race, sex, and gender orientation, the same way the racists of the past did?
- Which is the party of racism, the party of Lincoln that emancipated the slaves and passed the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments to the Constitution establishing black Americans as full citizens, or the party with a 200-year history of racism going back to Andrew Jackson, including defending slavery and seceding from the Union to preserve it; founding the Ku Klux Klan; promoting racial segregation, grandfather clauses and poll taxes to keep blacks from voting, etc. and trying to cover for it by trading in its historical anti-black racism for anti-white racism? For that matter, isn’t it racist to effectively endorse the idea that people of color can’t compete with whites and Asian Americans on a level playing field and thus require quotas and lowering of standards, rather than improving their education through school choice and other mechanisms that the teachers’ unions, the principal campaign contributors to the Left, oppose?
- Who is the real racist, Louis Farrakhan or Larry Elder?
- Who advocates greater censorship: Moms for Liberty, who want to keep adult literature away from elementary school students, or the cabal of the Biden Administration and Big Tech, who want to suppress dissenting opinions?
- Who preaches hatred of differing political or social views, the Salem Network podcast hosts or the Southern Poverty Law Center?
- Which US President began his Senate career by palling around with Southern segregationists?
- Which administration has used Big Tech and the media to suppress true information that they didn’t want the public to have? For example, the National Institutes of Health concealed the likely origin of COVID-19 in the Wuhan lab, which was doing gain-of-function research (i.e., making viruses more lethal) financed by the NIH.
The Big Lie has spread so far that even science has been polluted, to the point where, for example, a longtime college biology professor (a black man, no less) was fired for teaching that sex is determined by chromosomes (XX for female, XY for male), while a white Penn State University professor of English left and found a job teaching at a community college because he was directed to use race-based grading to ensure “equity”; he has filed a lawsuit against Penn State. Pediatric medicine appears to be accepting the concept of treating gender dysphoria not as a psychological disorder as in the past, but a life choice to be supported through “gender affirming care,” a euphemism “gender activists have coined to describe irreversible sex-change treatments and procedures, such as puberty blockers and hormonal injections and double mastectomies and vaginoplasties. A harrowing description of transitioning can be found here and here. Outside the classroom, transgendered biological males have been allowed to compete in sports against biological females, thus depriving them of scholarships and endorsements, as well as forcing the females to undress in front of naked individuals with male genitalia. At the same time, research into rapid-onset gender dysphoria as a social pressure-driven phenomenon is being suppressed.
Also in academia, much to my chagrin as an Arizona State University alumnus, 35 of the 46 faculty members of the Barrett Honors College signed a letter protesting the appearance of mainstream conservative commentators Dennis Prager and Charlie Kirk at a non-political “Health, Wealth, and Happiness” event, alleging that they are “white nationalists,” which is absurd, especially since Mr. Prager is Jewish. The ASU administration, which had signaled in advance its opposition to the speakers, reacted by firing both Ann Atkinson, the director of the T.W. Lewis Center for Personal Development, who invited them, and the operations manager for the theater that hosted the event, and shutting down the Lewis Center, which it claimed was a “business decision,” even though Ms. Atkinson said she had raised over $500,000 this year.
The bottom line is that the Left rejects both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution as the dishonest “fascistic” product of slaveholders (never mind that practically every nation on Earth has legitimized slavery, and the US was among the first nations to abolish it as the result of a Civil War that claimed over 600,000 American lives, equivalent in modern times to over six million casualties since our population has increased tenfold since the 1860’s, and never mind that the Left’s Islamist allies still traffic in black slaves). Thus, we are increasingly ruled by generations of ignoramuses, indoctrinated by increasingly radicalized educators, who arrogantly believe that, as Dennis Prager has observed, they are wiser and more moral than George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and Benjamin Franklin combined. As Dennis further observed, they are the product of a system of child-rearing that promotes high self-esteem instead of high self-control, so that these perpetual adolescents can not bear to hear anyone disagree with them and respond with loud, disruptive temper tantrums.
In rebuttal, may I quote excerpts from President Calvin Coolidge’s address on July 4, 1926 celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence:
“There is something beyond the establishment of a new nation, great as that event would be, in the Declaration of Independence which has ever since caused it to be regarded as one of the great charters that not only was to liberate America but was everywhere to ennoble humanity.
“It was not because it was proposed to establish a new nation, but because it was proposed to establish a nation on new principles, that July 4, 1776, has come to be regarded as one of the greatest days in history. Great ideas do not burst upon the world unannounced. They are reached by a gradual development over a length of time usually proportionate to their importance. This is especially true of the principles laid down in the Declaration of Independence. Three very definite propositions were set out in its preamble regarding the nature of mankind and therefore of government. These were the doctrine that all men are created equal, that they are endowed with certain inalienable rights, and that therefore the source of the just powers of government must be derived from the consent of the governed….
“In its main features the Declaration of Independence is a great spiritual document. It is a declaration not of material but of spiritual conceptions. Equality, liberty, popular sovereignty, the rights of man – these are not elements which we can see and touch. They are ideals. They have their source and their roots in the religious convictions. They belong to the unseen world…
“About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning cannot be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction cannot lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers.”