Jews can play a vital (pardon the pun) role in preventing humanity from going extinct in the foreseeable future. And these are the reasons:
1. By luck or Fate, Jews as a People are world champions in survival. Moses summarize the Torah as ‘Choose Life!’ Though we brought Monotheists the idea of an Eternal Afterlife, we know as no one how valuable this life is.
2. From experience we know that few want to die but all seem to be heading to the grave. However, our Tradition promises that in the end (pardon the pun), Death will be defeated. Not for nothing, many of us are physicians contributing to postponing death for as long as we can. Physicians may actually realize physical immortality, but does that have any value if we go extinct from climate change or nuclear war?
3. By training, we are a responsible group who care about humans and who are used to giving it our all in (almost) hopeless battles anyway.
4. The step from saving one human every moment to all of humanity is very small. This is really also the work we committed ourselves to.
5. We are respected by all decent people and associated with preserving life so our call carries extra weight. Prestige is short-term power. Besides, the potential of Jews on strike worldwide is enough to enforce our goals.
6. Being exposed to hate and blood libels, we are capable of not being as naïve as most Gentiles. We know how mean some people can be so we don’t doubt that greedy manufacturers and spoiled consumers could want to continue on a disastrous route even if we would all die from it.
7. It is late. It is very late. It is extremely late. But Jews know how to hurry, be unreasonably hopeful until the end, and snatch life from the jaws of death. The time is now. The job is ours.
8. Sometimes, we need to do the job ourselves. Yes, we should network with all groups but someone must take the lead. It can be too late if we just hope others deemed ‘fitter’ would do it. Let’s not wait for idealistic activists, governments, the UN, rich opinion makers, or the media to do the job. They lack what it takes and we have no time to lose. As Jews, we have the talent, experience, and lust to organize and lead. We’re falsely accused of plotting to take over the world. Let’s do it for everyone’s good.
9. I expect Jews the world over to unite and fight climate extinction.
10. We need a world conference of Jewish leaders to come to a quick and detailed consensus on which winning measures to implement at once.